OLD TIME TURKEY DOGGING

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
OsceWood

RE: OLD TIME TURKEY DOGGING

Postby OsceWood » February 4th, 2009, 4:17 am

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

There was quite a bit more to it than that...I'm sure the resident 5 th grader can copy and paste us an answer.

As far as the "sports sustanbilty"....only real danger I see is a few bad apples giving the rest of us a bad name.

What actions by "others" do you consider to be deprimental to the reputation of the sport ?

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 4th, 2009, 4:23 am

Dog hunters in general for all game have a bad rep with some people. There was alot of people cussing turkey dogs in Wi before they were legal when they were trying to get it to be legal. People would say dogs are going to be chasing turkeys around the woods having them scared half to death, people and there dogs will trespass and a host of other bs reasons. Hound hunters in Wi have a pretty bad rep and although some might be deserved most isn't.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 4th, 2009, 6:21 am

ORIGINAL: thundrchikin

I for one certainly hope this is not a dying sport.Lord willing I will be traveling to Va tomarrow to pick up a pup for this grand sport.It will be my first attempt at turkey dogging and I am very excited.It will be a learning process for both the dog and I to be sure,but one I'm looking forward too.If anyone has any questions send me a P.M. I'll will be glad to help if I can.Just as others have done for me.Please remember this is dog #1 so I have nothing to go on as of yet.Thanks to all that have gotten me this far!

wish i was goin' to pick up a turkey pup,what kind you gettin'?

thundrchikin

Postby thundrchikin » February 4th, 2009, 6:45 am

After much deliberation I have settled on a Brittnay. I have talked with a few guys that hunt them they seem to be more suited for the mts. that I hunt.I spoke with a gentleman about "droppers" they may hunt alittle wider than what I want.The Boykin was also considered,but may hunt alittle close for me.The Brittnay was also more avalible in my area,not quite as pricey as the Boykin.I'll just have to see what happens as I stated this is all new to me.Quite excited though!
canecreekcalls.com

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 4th, 2009, 6:52 am

congrats & good luck

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 4th, 2009, 9:42 am

ORIGINAL: thundrchikin

After much deliberation I have settled on a Brittnay. I have talked with a few guys that hunt them they seem to be more suited for the mts. that I hunt.I spoke with a gentleman about "droppers" they may hunt alittle wider than what I want.The Boykin was also considered,but may hunt alittle close for me.The Brittnay was also more avalible in my area,not quite as pricey as the Boykin.I'll just have to see what happens as I stated this is all new to me.Quite excited though!
i think you made a good choice......ImageImage"I

thundrchikin

Postby thundrchikin » February 4th, 2009, 11:14 am

Thanks Ron. I have spoken with Gratten several times in the last few days, very instrumental in my decision. Great guy. As a matter of fact he's the one that got me the # of the breeder I'm going to get the pup from.
canecreekcalls.com

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 4th, 2009, 11:51 am

Brittanies can work. We got a 2 year old french brittany male name Yogi who loves chasing turkey and makes sure everyone is in the air before coming back to us. He also does a great job of pointing upland birds and fetching dead ones.

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 4th, 2009, 12:20 pm

than please go elsewhere it a big fourm...i dont need your insults[:@]

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 4th, 2009, 12:24 pm

TurkeyComander

Hope things work out good for you...I don't think the Brittanys are known much for their barking.....a much needed trait in a turkey dog.

As far as their range goes....I'm pretty sure a Brittany is not known as a big ranger in the bird dog world. I know a guy that's hunted with Heplers dog...I'll ask him about his range.

Range can be effected by the trainer and by what species of other game you hunt with it.

Ps...This whole thread is really fruitless....as it's clogged up with copy and pasted material.

(in reply
ORIGINAL: turkeydoghunter

than please go elsewhere it a big fourm...i dont need your insults[:@]

PreviousNext

Return to Fall Hunting