Fall turkey

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
COhunter

RE: Fall turkey

Postby COhunter » June 12th, 2010, 7:35 pm

I was wondering, do turkeys tend to gobble on the roost first thing in the morning during fall like they do in Spring?  Is this a good way to locate them?

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 13th, 2010, 2:31 am

Turkeys in the fall are just liable to do anything . They won't gobble with the consistency of spring , but it is not uncommon . But , they can be located on the roost by the many other calls they will make , be it hens or toms .
 Knowing what you are hearing is an advantage if you are targeting longbeards or even young gobblers . To be able to tell the difference in a hen yelp and gobbler yelp , or cluck , or cutt , or whine and all of their vocalizations ; even the discernable difference in their wingbeats as they pitch off the roost limb , is something that comes by time spent in the woods around wild turkeys . The leaf scratching of turkeys can be heard quite some distance , depending on wind and other noise as well as how dry the woods are too. Hens have shorter legs than toms . Therefore they don't have the same rhythm to their scratch as the toms . Again , watching , listening and learning from the wild birds is the best school.

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » June 13th, 2010, 5:06 am

so get off the couch ...get in the woods and learn from the turkeys
Break em at Night...Back at light

Dcoleinpa

Postby Dcoleinpa » June 13th, 2010, 4:05 pm

[:D]

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » June 17th, 2010, 12:50 pm

It is also a great way to improve your calling. There is no better place to hear turkey vocalizations than getting in close to a flock of hens in the fall in my opinion. Good luck to you.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 17th, 2010, 12:56 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: MAKEemQUIVER

It is also a great way to improve your calling. There is no better place to hear turkey vocalizations than getting in close to a flock of hens in the fall in my opinion. Good luck to you.

I do agree,,I do , I do , I do. No kiddin'.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 17th, 2010, 1:05 pm

I probably have said this before ,,,I really like to see a strutting gobbler . Trying to read his mind by his body language as he comes in to the call is a thrill .

But , I really ADMIRE  the quiet fall gobbler that is coming in with his feathers all plastered down like they were oiled . His head up high , and that brilliant red head and wattles . Slow stepping in his cautionary manner , inspecting every inch of the woods for the unseen gobbler he knows he heard just a moment ago , ,,,or was it an hour . He seems to me to be a little harder to read . Though there are those wing movement and the sudden '' TACK ABOUT'' manuever that surely means he's either seen too much ,,,or not enough .  PUTT ,,,,PUTT ,,,,PUTT,,,,,,bang!

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 19th, 2010, 1:08 am

I just finished watching the Denny Gulvas Fall Hunting DVD. It's packed full of sound wisdom and information .
I recommend it for any beginner or seasoned fall hunter .

thunderchicken

Postby thunderchicken » June 20th, 2010, 9:24 am

Mark,

does he have a website?

where did you get that DVD?
Impatience is hard to ignore, but patience puts the bird in the truck!

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 20th, 2010, 12:38 pm

PM has been sent , John.

Previous

Return to Fall Hunting