Fall scouting question

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
COhunter

Fall scouting question

Postby COhunter » August 23rd, 2010, 5:47 am

I have been hunting turkeys seriously for three years now.  Last spring I harvested my first turkey.  I learn more everytime I go out.  Yesterday I went scouting in area that I know holds birds.  It is the same east facing hill that I harvested my Spring turkey.  It is heavily wooded with lodge pole pines, ponderosa pine and aspen.  I found lots of sign..feathers, droppings and dust bowls or scratching areas.  I was calling, when all of a sudden I  got a response from a single bird.  I hid behind a rock and clucked and yelped back and forth with this bird for like 15 minutes.  I never got to see the bird, but it sounded as if it was a loner.  I was wondering if a loner is typically a gobbler, jake or hen in most cases.

mark hay

RE: Fall scouting question

Postby mark hay » August 24th, 2010, 10:04 am

I can't say what you were hearing was this or that . I didn't hear the calls to determine whether it was a tom or hen . It is possible it was either . Most likely a gang of broodless hens or gobblers . It is also a possibility it was a lone gobbler . Very independant fellers they are . It's not uncommon to have one holler back at you but never show himself .
 Sounds like you are in the right area for this fall season . I would recommend scouting early and late in the day if at all possible . Do more listening than anything else . Slowly move about to read the ground sign . I do not recommend calling to the birds before season , though I will admit I have done in the past myself . Turkeys , like most wildlife  , have a far better memory than a human . Most stuff for us takes repitition and study , whereas they only need one lesson .
 Your time AMONG the turkeys , in silence, and stone still , will be your greatest advantage between now and season . WATCHIN'  'n'  LISTENIN' .

One more tip ,,,if you ain't already doing it ,,,keep a detailed journal of each time your in the woods ,,whether scouting , hunting or just loafing .

COhunter

RE: Fall scouting question

Postby COhunter » August 24th, 2010, 4:48 pm

Thanks Mark,  I appreciate the input.  After I posted this I did some reading, and read that Toms tend to be more raspy and less repitious in their cadence.  The yelping and clucking I heard was more high pitched and sounded off with many clucks and yelps, more indicatave of a hen according to different sources.  I will heed the advice of keeping silent.  Makes sense...don't want to educate them too much!

Return to Fall Hunting