Winter (late fall) turkeys

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
Gopherlongbeards

Winter (late fall) turkeys

Postby Gopherlongbeards » January 5th, 2014, 2:21 pm

Had a great hunt the last weekend of fall turkey season (Dec 28-29) here in Wisconsin. I took a friend of mine out who had been out a few times spring and fall, but had yet to take his first turkey. We hunted a gobbler group of about a dozen gobblers and jakes that I had located earlier in the week. It was also warm enough where I could put the new tongue teaser call I got from Willowridge to good use without my fingers freezing up. I had used it a few times before and really liked it for fall hunting. It's my favorite friction call for fall hunting (I'm typically a mouth call guy) because it's so versatile. It will make every sound you need from young poult kee kees to raspy old hen and gobbler yelps.

Sunrise found us set up across a field from the roost about 500 yds away (I would have liked to be below the roost but I hadn't been able to get hold of the landowner the night before). Anyways, the birds were nice and vocal on the roost, and it was a still morning so we could hear everything. There was lots of gobbler yelping and gobbling. We managed to call the group all the way across the field to us and my buddy shot a nice tom at 30 yards.

We went and hunted another farm down the road without seeing anything and went into town for a lunch break. Headed back out to the first farm around 2:30, talked with the landowner and got the go-ahead to get into their roost area. We still hunted our way in and set up in the draw they roosted in just under the top of the crest. after an hour or so of intermittent calling a jake responded over the crest about 100 yards away. We got on the calls and had the birds pretty riled up, they were yelping, cutting and gobbling at us and they eventually came marching over the crest to us. Their heads were all fired up red, white and blue like in the spring time. They began to fight amongst themselves directly in front of us until my buddy had a clear shot and took a jake. The rest jumped a bit and hopped/glided a couple yards off. I got on the call again and managed to bring them back around after a minute or two with some fighting purrs. I shot a gobbler at 30 yds and again the rest jumped back over the crest but continued to call and mill around. We probably could have called them back again, but my friend was out of tags and I wanted to save my last one for Tuesday, so we let them wander off. It was one of those great fall encounters in the woods that I absolutely love. We had a dozen turkeys milling around within shotgun range for 10-15 minutes while we waited for an open shot between the trees, they put on quite a show.

So it ended up being a great day in the woods. Birds were active, responsive to calls and we ended up with three very nice birds. My friend took a gobbler and a jake, and although he has hunted turkey before (both spring and fall) they were the first birds he has taken. I told him he was part of a very select group, with his first turkey ever being a fall gobbler called in to the gun.

timbrhuntr

Re: Winter (late fall) turkeys

Postby timbrhuntr » January 5th, 2014, 3:05 pm

Nice, love the snow and congrats on getting your buddy his first turkeys. I bet he is really pumped for the spring season now.
Fall hunting is great if you want to hear just about all the calls that a turkey makes in one sitting.

ads1

Postby ads1 » January 5th, 2014, 3:38 pm

That was a great hunt and I know your buddy was thrilled with the action and the turkey. Thanks for sharing and good luck next spring!

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » January 5th, 2014, 8:55 pm

Very nice, congrats to you and your friend on the great hunt and procuring the forests grand prize.....
Unofficial mascot for Team 2
Springtime Assassins

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » January 6th, 2014, 9:08 am

Congrats on the fine birds. Brrrrrrrrrrr, my feet get cold just looking at the picture ;) .
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 6th, 2014, 12:39 pm

Congrats Gopher, At least you had a nice sunny day to hunt, even though it was -16. Here we had -10 and a hazzy windy day that was spittin snow showers off and on.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Fall Hunting