Ticks Revisited

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
gooseberry

Ticks Revisited

Postby gooseberry » July 27th, 2011, 12:22 pm

Does anyone worry about tick bites to the extent it's keep them from going out in the woods? It seems to me that I worry more in the Fall.

BluMtnGobbler

RE: Ticks Revisited

Postby BluMtnGobbler » July 27th, 2011, 2:52 pm

I dont worry too much. I spray with deep woods off andcheck myclotheswell beforei get in the house. Knock on wood, I haven't had too many
Brian

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » July 27th, 2011, 3:18 pm

Anytime the weather warms up I start to think more about ticks, but I never let it prevent me from going into the woods. I always spray down with bug spray and I spray my turkey hunting gear with some more aggressive bug spray such as promonone or something similar. I don't spray my deer hunting clothes because, first, it defeats the purpose of my scent control routine. And second, I don't deer hunt a whole lot, if any, when temperatures are very warm, which is when ticks are out. I wait until the weather cools and the leaves fall before I hunt whitetails and the ticks are usually gone by then.

Regardless, I always like to give myself the good once over to make sure I don't have any of the little guys crawling around on me and knock on wood, I haven't had any bad or serious encounters with them!
Brian

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » July 27th, 2011, 5:21 pm

My mother always told me that I was full of piss and vinegar. I guess fortunately because of that I've never had any problems with any ticks or chiggers when I go into the woods. Every now and then I might find one on me but thats about it. Any time I go out into the woods my wife will tell me before I leave that I need to spray down with something but I never do.

xcal1ber

Postby xcal1ber » July 27th, 2011, 6:26 pm

I dont worry about ticks, when i come in i always search myself real good and the ones thats on me hasnt buried in yet they are just sitting there trying to find the perfect spot. Now i have found a couple buried in and if i do i watch the spot closely to make sure i detect the early signs of lime disease, so far so good but if you go to the doctor early enough then they can get rid of it fast.
There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
-Fred Bear

gooseberry

Postby gooseberry » July 28th, 2011, 12:34 pm

I've read a couple of reports that said that Pennsylvania has the most reported cases of tick bites. And, of course, that's where I live. HA! HA! The past few years I've had buddies find them embedded in their skin, but they tested negative for Lyme disease or they weren't carriers.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » July 28th, 2011, 1:46 pm

Spray your clothes with Sawyer clothing spray it contains permethrin is odorless and wear your pants inside your boots. Always check yourself when you come in snd you will be ok.
You will have to hang your clothes to spray them and let dry for 2 to 4 hours and it is good for 6 to 8 washings. Hope that helps.

Jon
Turkeybuster

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » August 1st, 2011, 4:06 am

our bow season doesn't start til the first saturday in oct. in va., i have never sprayed myself for ticks in the fall like i do in spring, guess i just don't trust the unscented advertisements of some products, i do use a little "dirt " scented stuff on my hands and face for mosquitoes, one day i will buy a thermocell, i do check myself in the early season as it is still fairly WARM,and those little buggers are still out, i have found ticks on my clothes in nov. before, someone sent me this, i never did have to try it out, but it sounds reasonable..... speaking of that bow, it's about time to blow the dust off that thing, and sling a few arrows [:D]

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]"Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20), the tick will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away. This technique has worked every time I've used it (and that was frequently), and it's much less traumatic for the patient and  easier for me.."[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"] [font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]"Unless  someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this would be damaging in any way. I even[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]had my doctor's wife call me for advice because she had one stuck to her back and she couldn't reach it with tweezers. She used this method and immediately called me back to say,  
"It worked!"
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"] 
David

You never know, unless you go

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » August 1st, 2011, 5:30 am

Hey Bruce,

I am a tick magnet. Many times when I go out to my range, I will come back with ticks on my clothing or at times already on me. I normally spray with repellant but it does always work for those little pests. I've tried lots of different types, including those that you use only on your clothing and find that they work best.

There are many serious diseases that are transmitted by ticks as you probably already know. The important thing is to fully check your body as soon as possible when you return from the woods. They need to be fully attached for some time to transmit most diseases. It's also a good idea to either leave your boots/shoes, clothing outside or immediately wash your clothing. They can easily hide on clothing and get into your house.

We sometimes bring them in just by venturing outside. We also have outside cats and we check them quite often. They really like out Maine Coon Cat even though he has a collar and we regularly treat him. I guess he's a tick magnet too.

Lastly, I would not let ticks reduce your enjoyment of the outdoors. Just use something that works for you and check yourself every single time.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Return to Fall Hunting