Out of State Harvest Permit

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
ads1

Out of State Harvest Permit

Postby ads1 » July 9th, 2013, 9:17 am

OK I just submitted my Fall Harvest Permit Application for Wisconsin. The deadline is August 1 and it is a lottery drawing. Even have two hunting locations in St. Croix and Dunn Counties, If I get selected I'll be hunting private property and farmland. I like hunting around farms and in the fall there is no turkey scenery more beautiful. I will be making a visit to the property in Late July and plan on getting the GPS coordinates so I can do some Google Earth scouting when I get back to Southern Illinois. Any one else going to plan an out-of-state turkey hunt this fall? Anything special that you do when planning an "out of state" hunt?

dewey

Re: Out of State Harvest Permit

Postby dewey » July 9th, 2013, 3:17 pm

This seems like a no brainer but read and understand the regulations of the state you are hunting in and going through.

Legal shooting hours? Some states are 0.5 hours before sunrise to 0.5 hours after sunrise but some states close hunting at noon or don't allow hunting on Sundays.
Can you shoot turkeys in a tree?
Legal firearm caliber and shot size?
What about roosted turkeys?
What sex evidence needs to remain after the harvest has been completed? Beard attached to breast or something else?
Do you need to register the turkey with the state wildlife agency?
Bag limit and gender limits?
Limits on distance to houses, livestock or other things.
Then if you travel through multiple states you also need to be sure that you follow their rules on maintaining gender evidence of the turkey.

If you are hunting in Wisconsin I believe there is a law that you must wear some sort of shirt or apparel pledging allegiance to the Vikings :lol:

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » July 9th, 2013, 4:02 pm

Rest assured you will get drawn and have the opportunity to buy addtional OTC at the rate of $15 each one per day. The only limit on turkeys is your wallet and maybe if the tags sell out before Dec 31 which has not happened for the last 6 years. St Croix and Dunn are good counties, in spite of a tough spring the reports I am getting is the hatch is good and continues to be good.
If you have a turkey dog, bring it along they are legal statewide.
Check out the WI posts on this forum under the state section several of us WI guys post a lot there.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » July 9th, 2013, 7:37 pm

Wi. used to have a law posted in their regulations that stated Turkey Hunting Times ended 1/2 hour before the hunting time of the day ended. Meaning if the regs said that the closing time was 7:15pm, turkey hunting closed at 6:45pm that day. It used to be posted in the turkey regulations that way ever since they opened it up to full day hunting. I believe that law is still in effect, I didn't see it in the latest regs, but I may have missed it?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

ads1

Postby ads1 » July 9th, 2013, 9:29 pm

Knowing the hunting regulations is very important and takes some time to learn and understand. Thanks guys. I am looking forward to hunting in Wisconsin!! :D

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » July 10th, 2013, 12:35 pm

You'll enjoy it Ads1, WI is tough to beat for turkeys. As Charlie said, it's looking like there will be ample numbers of birds around this fall. :D. St. Croix and Dunn CTYS? that's pretty close to my neck of the woods. Maybe you'll be the first other fall turkey hunter I've ever seen in WI :lol:

P.S. Hey Dewey, wearing standard viking fan apparel sure would make it more of a challenge to take a fall bird, although it would be tough to get your cheek down on the stock with that brown paper bag over your head :twisted:

dewey

Postby dewey » July 11th, 2013, 10:30 am

Gopherlongbeards wrote:P.S. Hey Dewey, wearing standard viking fan apparel sure would make it more of a challenge to take a fall bird, although it would be tough to get your cheek down on the stock with that brown paper bag over your head :twisted:

Once you start practicing it isn't too bad at all. I would camoflauge the bag though. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

ads1

Postby ads1 » July 11th, 2013, 12:29 pm

Hey you could use the head gear as a decoy and then with some HECS clothing you could eat bugs with the longbeards and measure their hooks before you shoot one! :lol:
Attachments
viking.jpg
New turkey decoy!
viking.jpg (7.09 KiB) Viewed 681 times

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » July 11th, 2013, 2:45 pm

Cheesehead_HickoffPhoto.jpg
Cheesehead_HickoffPhoto.jpg (172.67 KiB) Viewed 677 times

I don't know about the effectiveness of these different decoys. Steve did not get a turkey using this setup.

Hey Steve, bet you thought this episode had long since been forgotten. Sorry about that buddy. :lol: It's just about one the funniest turkey hunting stories ever. Just trying to help you out, a guy in your profession can't get too much PR: can he?
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » July 11th, 2013, 8:10 pm

Hmmmm, do they make camo cheeseheads? I already have a couple camo packer shirts :D

Next

Return to Fall Hunting