Fall "longbeard"

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
Chief Many Longbeards

Fall "longbeard"

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » November 2nd, 2012, 12:04 pm

it was a tough go for me during the fall shotgun season - not so much seeing and calling in birds, but making contact with the right birds.
hunted at least a couple hours in 5 of the 9 days. spent most of the time making gobbler calls in an area where i have shot several fall toms but no luck. i did have a tom come in one morning and make a single cluck, but i never saw him.
called in several flocks of hens/poults and a couple gangs of jakes but passed on the shots.
so ... with time running out on the season in the last day i had to hunt, i worked my way toward a roosting ridge late afternoon.
set up and made some soft calls as the sun began to sink toward the horizon and the wind finally died down.
20 minutes before sunset, i hear birds scratching and moving up the ridge. heads began showing over the rise but, dang, blue heads - another hen flock.
waited until about 10 birds came over the hill - all hen/poults - but still didnt have a clear shot through the trees and underbrush. finally, the lead hen stepped out into a clearing about 15 yards away. BEARD! BOOM! at the shot, about 20 other birds took flight down the hill.
wish that 7-inch beard was on a big tom but at least i won't have to "eat" my tag. :D
Attachments
2012 fall bird.jpg
2012 fall bird.jpg (58.83 KiB) Viewed 673 times

fallhunt

Re: Fall "longbeard"

Postby fallhunt » November 2nd, 2012, 12:07 pm

Congrats on a nice fall hunt

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » November 2nd, 2012, 6:43 pm

Congrats on your bearded hen, ;)
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

eggshell

Postby eggshell » November 3rd, 2012, 6:42 am

good job and congrats.... It make you start seeing all those hens and poults in your sleep when you start running out of time, but it usually pays to wait.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

Return to Fall Hunting