It's over till April

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
Cut N Run

RE: It's over till April

Postby Cut N Run » November 29th, 2010, 9:45 am

Congratulations on a successful hunt, Mark. Fresh meat on the table is a wonderful thing. At least your wait until April is a LOT shorter than mine. I've been seeing & hearing turkeys off the deer stand most times I hunt at the lease and I've been tempted to mess with 'em, but haven't. Listening to turkeys on a cold, clear day is pure music.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

mark hay

Postby mark hay » November 30th, 2010, 12:02 pm

Thanks Jim. Yesterday was deer gun opener . I sat on a stand as the sky got lighter and lighter . Shooting all over the country and in all directions . But nothing presented itself on Jon's 85 .
 I took a migrane around 9:00 and slouched back to the cabin . Built me a fire and got comfortable in a chair right next to it . Closed my eyes and the pain slowly departed . Then after a while I hear something coming off the point ridge above the cabin . Right there in the cabin yard I could have taken a nice young 'n' tender yearling . That little feller was being pushed by the nieghbors dogs , but as soon as hit left the brush he just stood there in the lane looking at me . He finally trotted on and soon the dogs came out . They see me in the chair but paid no attention ,,,,until I stood up with the 20 ga in my hand and my arms stretched toward the sky . They left a lot faster than they arrived ,,,going back the way they came in .
 Had a great day inspite of no shot . One of the fellers killed a nice young eatin' buck just before quitting time .
 Rained like crazy 'bout all day today .
 Best part of the hunt was hearing that flock of turkeys get all bent out of shape on the roost. I think they all cackled as they pitched .
 Shortly after Roger killed the buck a longbeard landed in the tree right above him.

DEEP FRIED PERCH AND SHRIMP, fried 'tators and coleslaw,,,sunday evening
 Sausage , biscuits , gravy and eggs for lunch ,,,noon monday
 Before we all left last evening ,,,,Venison chili

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » November 30th, 2010, 2:02 pm

looks like you had alot of fun mark ....you need to get a dog to break them long beards up,,,,,sounds like your getting good on them trumpets....give me a call i might know where you can get a turkey dog....heres one i got last sat. in PA

Break em at Night...Back at light

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 1st, 2010, 1:18 pm

To all you fellers on the bottom of page #1 , thanks for your kind words . You too Ron .
 FUN? You bet ! I get a charge from roaming those hills looking and listening and calling ,,,,trying to locate and fire 'em up . Congrats Ron on your bird,,,birds no doubt .

If Ohio ever raises the fall limit I will pursue a dog.

Oh yeah ! I do like the trumpet .

I spooked a gang of gobblers this evening on my way into the woods for an evening deerhunt . I could see their sign from a long way off since they had turned the leaves after a recent squall of snowshowers . BIG tracks in the muddy laneway.

Previous

Return to Fall Hunting