It's over till April

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
mark hay

It's over till April

Postby mark hay » November 7th, 2010, 6:32 am

I went to an area I hadn't been in this fall . Standing there in the powerline clearcut this cold and frosty morn I waited on the day to lighten . I hit the brass call as light as I could and made a tree call . A few minutes later I repeat . A bird began to call over on the next ridge , which isn't near as high as the one I'm on . We yelped and clucked back and forth for a while and they flew down . Silence . The next time I hear them they are on the far ridge . I pick up and make a very wide loop around both the birds and a piece of private ground that is bordered on 3 sides by public land . I didn't get in too much of a hurry ,,,just taking my time trying to be somewhat quiet in the frosted leaves . I passed the point of the low ridge they had been roosted on and climbed the ridge they were now feeding on . Occassionally I could hear them squabble among themselves . After reaching a good flat on the ridge , with good cover I just stopped to listen . It wasn't long before I could hear them raking the hillside . I made some gobbler yelps on both the brass and the Havoc calls . After about 30 minutes I can see them slowly coming toward me at about 70 yards . They were all taking turn about doing their ''STRETCH 'N'FLAP'' and finally got into a freeforall for about a minute . As this quarrel was winding down I gave them a gobble . All leaf rattling stopped momentarily and they began again to move my way .
 Da'gummit they were taking their time . I didn't sit down or lean against a tree ,,,,I just kinda squatted . My right foot was asleep and aching too . My left hand was like an icecube too. But the birds are still coming . They finally get within 25 yards and up out of a low , shallow gulley and all begin stretching their necks looking at the green and brown blob . Some got up on logs to survey the area . Others just stood their ground . None made a peep nor a cluck . One bird , which was the first to begin the stretched neck senario , just stood off to my left and away from the rest of the flock . So I just decided to take him . At the shot birds went airborne and some just stood still . One went over and threatened to kill the down bird again . I stood up and those remaining on the ground  took to wing . After the flopping stopped I took the bird over to a sunny spot for a photo ,and to warm myself a little . Like a durn fool I left my gun ten feet away . I was just standing there listening to the woods and looking down at the deceased when I heard something o the ground straight out in front of me . I figured it to be a returning bird . WRONG! COYOTE. He was within range of the gun ,,but I wasn't . I knew he would spot me if I tried to get to the double . He walked behind some dense brush and I dropped to a crawling position . But when he emerged he must have picked up my scent on the breeze and high tailed it .
 I then hung the bird on an oak and took a couple pics . Then I heard a turkey calling from the direction the flock had flown . I tormented them with the trumpet  for several minutes . Then they all made that cackle we are familiar with ,,,,the one when they are taking to wing . I figure that song dog was playing turkeydog .
 Now I possess mixed feelings about it all . Wanted a longbeard , and took a jake . Love roaming the November hills searching for them ,,,,now I can't . It was a good long engagement and the reward of having them come in close is quite satisfying to me .
  My biggest mistake this fall took place this morning when I got myself out of reach of the doublebarrel . I killed a big male 'yote yesterday morning on the south side of the area . Would like to have taken another .

eggshell

RE: It's over till April

Postby eggshell » November 7th, 2010, 8:01 am

Well done mark. Never regret the decision to take a bird. You can only pass up so many....that jake will eat mighty fine! Those old paper tags may be good for a diet but are severely lacking in flavor, even when mixed in veggies for tag soup. There is an eerie shadow in your picture...are you about to be attacked by the momma turkey?

rbewilson

Postby rbewilson » November 7th, 2010, 4:09 pm

Congrats on your bird Hay[;)][;)],glad you got a bird wish you could have got that song dog too.Will you send me some of that luck to me, maybe in Dec.I can find me one that wants to take a ride in the back of my truck.Tell the Linda hi for me

BigBuckeye

Postby BigBuckeye » November 8th, 2010, 8:22 am

Congrats Mark, great narrative!  I need to read up on the trumpet [:)]

And, oh the OH fall foilage....I miss it [:(]
I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

mark hay

Postby mark hay » November 8th, 2010, 11:19 am

Thanks fellers .

Dana , that eerie shadow is that SKEERIE  Linda .

Wilson ,,I hope you get tangled up in wings and beards the birds are so crowded , when you go hunting ,,,,best wishes to ya .

BigBuckeye,,,they were a sight to see,,were that is . They are all on the ground now ,,,'xcept the oaks .
 Them trumpets are fun to work with . I'm far from good with it ,,,but have worked a few birds with it this fall .

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » November 8th, 2010, 1:50 pm

Congrats. Mark that's a nice bird good luck with the yotes.
Jon
Turkeybuster

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » November 8th, 2010, 3:55 pm

Congrats on your fall bird Mark! I hope you get another chance at that coyote soon. I plan on doing a little coyote hunting myself after deer season is over with.
Brian

mark hay

Postby mark hay » November 9th, 2010, 11:47 am

Thanks Ky89. I intend to do just that . I'd rather trick an old coyote to the gun than kill a deer any day of the week . But , I do also plan on doing some deer hunting . I don't bow hunt any more and during deer gun season 'yotes are legal as long as the hunter has a valid deer permit . You can bet that I'll have my calls with me on any and every outing . I always have the Primos Double Howler in my pocket . Sorta like a hanky and drivers liscense,,,don't leave home without 'em . Matter of fact ,,I'm going 'yote hunting tomorrow evening after work , with a co-worker . Fur law opens tomorrow too. So , them nest robbin' 'coons had better be on the lookout .[:D]

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » November 9th, 2010, 1:27 pm

Congrats on a fine hunt there Mark. [:D]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » November 10th, 2010, 4:59 am

Congrats Mark....Way to go!