.410 this fall

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
fallhunt

Re: .410 this fall

Postby fallhunt » June 4th, 2012, 12:48 pm

That is a good story.There is one hen that is TOUGH!

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » June 4th, 2012, 3:35 pm

thats a great story, kentucky, i've had some strange stuff happen inthe turkey woods, but that takes the cake..... :)
David

You never know, unless you go

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » June 5th, 2012, 7:36 am

Yes, I will never forget that durn bird and Im glad there wasnt a camera there because I know I would have been laughing at myself also. Now that you got the cake I guess I will include the icing with it because this one here I will never forget.

Now my turkey hunting honey hole is behind a tobacco wharehouse. Now about 10 years ago when the wharehouse was still selling tobacco it was a slow day and there were some hens in the back field. My uncle decided that he wanted some wild turkey for dinner. So he grabbed his 12 ga shotgun and a couple of regular bird shells and sneaked around and shot one of them. The hen went down and was doing a little flopping. My uncle told my little brother, who was 23 at the time, to go out there and get the hen for him.

My little brother grabs a hold of the hen and low and behold the hen comes to life and the battle was on. My little brother was on top of the hen then the hen was on top of my little brother. That hen was kicking, wing flapping and everything else she could to whoop him and get away. At one point my brother was on his back and the hen was on top of his head and wearing it out. :lol: :lol: Now there was about 5 of us watching this and laughing our butts off at what we was seeing. My uncle hollered at my brother to ring his neck and my brother's response was "Im trying but she has done bit me 5 times while Im trying to do it." :lol: :lol:

Those two battled for about 10 minutes and my brother finally won out. He had scratches and bruises all over him and still to this day and while Im typing this I cant help but laugh because I wish we had a camera for that day. That year for X-mas I had to get him that singing Tom turkey that was popular back then along with the singing "Billy bass".
Is it turkey season yet?

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » June 5th, 2012, 10:50 pm

Great story, I think I am afraid of those hens now!! :lol:
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

fallhunt

Postby fallhunt » June 11th, 2012, 8:00 am

Shot to pattern the .410 sat. with Winchester shells and am very happy with 6shot.Got a very good and tight pattern from them.

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » June 18th, 2012, 8:35 am

Sorry but that is Dumb.....a 410 is for squirrel , rabbit , an grouse......what if an adult gobbler comes in ????......an for the record 6 shot would work better !!!
Break em at Night...Back at light

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » June 18th, 2012, 11:20 pm

turkeydoghunter wrote:Sorry but that is Dumb.....a 410 is for squirrel , rabbit , an grouse......what if an adult gobbler comes in ????......an for the record 6 shot would work better !!!

calm down turkeydoghunter there is enuff pellets in a 410. load to smack a gobbler in his face at close range & take it down witch is what fallhunt was talking about doing he just hasnt seen the number of gobblers in the area he plans to hunt so he plans on shooting a hen... i have more problem with that targeting & shooting hen turkeys regardless of if its legal in the fall season in what ever state...

me my self i need all the help i can get when turkey hunting so i pack a 12 ga in the turkey woods i have used a 20 pop B4 but i feel that some folks just want to use the smallest caliber they can be it a 410. to say they have killed a turkey with it you know what i mean but i have seen coyotes killed with a 410. with 5# shot so??? i think the same mentality goes for archery turkey hunting for many guys they just like the bragging writes to be able to say to others i bagged my turkey with archery gear its the hardest hunt there is ETC.

fallhunt

Postby fallhunt » June 19th, 2012, 12:56 pm

Turkey Junky, Funny you mention bowhunting,that is my main weapon of choice for turkey hunting. This hunt will be no different than a bowhunt. Shots will be 25 yrds. and less.

wingseeker

Postby wingseeker » September 10th, 2012, 4:11 pm

Gonna use my new 20 gauge with some HeviShot. I cannot wait to see what these 20 gauge HeviShot shells
will do to a turkey................will keep you posted

Previous

Return to Fall Hunting