Turkey Dog Breeds & Legal States

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
charlie elk

Turkey Dog Breeds & Legal States

Postby charlie elk » June 9th, 2013, 10:54 am

On http://www.turkeydog.org John has pictures of 50 different breeds of turkey dogs. http://www.turkeydog.org/breeds.html
Take a look you may have a turkey dog on your hands too. If you do then you should check out the turkey dog to see if turkey dogging is legal in your state or one nearby. http://www.turkeydog.org/TurkeyDogMap2010.jpg
On the map you'll notice 4 states allow turkey dogs in the spring (SDA) TN, NE, MT, & UT. At one time I would not have been too excited about dogs running around the spring woods. However, now that I have a few years of turkey dogging experience I realize spring dogging would not be a problem. A properly trained dog would not be running freely around to flush birds, rather they are the hunter's partner who enjoy a day hunting and quietly sit by the hunter's side. Much like when youth and grandchildren are taken out for the experience.
For those who choose to bow hunt turkeys a turkey dog makes recovery of hit birds much, much easier. Vic has helped about half dozen bow hunters recover their birds after they had given up. Except for deer WI law is silent on using dogs for game recovery. Many WDNR employees have told me stories of recovering wounded gobblers with their bird dogs, including a couple of COs. So why not make spring turkey dogs legal to be there when needed?
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

turkey junky

Re: Turkey Dog Breeds & Legal States

Postby turkey junky » June 16th, 2013, 4:09 pm

i would not blink twice if i wounded a gobbler & wanted my dog to help track it but i would not let the dog of leash a dog on a leash should be legal to use to track wounded game in all states...

i was just in NE & on all there WMA signs said no running of dogs after may 10th or something like that? so i would double check the legallity of using hunting dogs in the spring season after that point???

but i would never want to knowingly hunt in a state let along area or WMA with guys running dogs to spring turkey hunt thats just another predator in the woods disturbing the turkeys i want to hunt... i like to hunt the most un-pressured turkeys i can & im sorry i have to say that adds un-needed hunter pressure to the turkey woods... maybe not vic of turkey dog man johns well trained dogs but many hunters today dont spend the time needed to make a fine turkey hunting dog so it would leed to many hunter probs if people started running turkey dogs in the spring... just my opinion thow...

but i would help people find wounded gobblers in the spring with my dog legal or not id rather find the wounded game at that point then not take my dog out on a leash to help recover a wounded game animal...

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » June 16th, 2013, 8:40 pm

Charlie, I know I'm missing something and hopefully you can fill it in. Besides using a dog to recover wounded birds, how can the dog help you in the spring? The other benefit I see is if your setup the dog can tell you which direction the bird is coming. That would help out when that sneaky gobbler comes in from behind you.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 17th, 2013, 9:34 am

kygobbler wrote:Besides using a dog to recover wounded birds, how can the dog help you in the spring?

When a group of turkeys are at the opposite end of a field and you the human hunter can not run fast enough to scatter them.
I describe this tactic here- http://www.charlieelk.com/2013/scare-tu ... r-ray-eye/ I have killed many spring gobblers by breaking up strutters and hens. When a couple of gobblers are scared away from a hen or hens they were strutting for; those gobblers are very anxious to reunite with the girls.
Allowing your turkey dog to course as is done in the fall would not be a good spring strategy. Rather, on a leash or kept at close heel (my command is sneak) Vic points out the entry and exit points turkeys use in a particular area. Vic points out areas holding silent turkeys. Just because it is quiet does not mean there are no turkeys about.
Companionship is biggest reason a turkey dogger wants his dog with.
take me please (640x603) (320x302).jpg
take me please (640x603) (320x302).jpg (109.38 KiB) Viewed 976 times

After spending so much time sitting side by side in the fall it is a betrayal to leave your closest hunting buddy at home

kygobbler wrote:The other benefit I see is if your setup the dog can tell you which direction the bird is coming. That would help out when that sneaky gobbler comes in from behind you.

My hearing is not what it used to be and a dog can be your "hearing ear dog".

turkey junky wrote:i was just in NE & on all there WMA signs said no running of dogs after may 10th or something like that? so i would double check the legallity of using hunting dogs in the spring season after that point???

According to NE game department those signs refer to hounds and other training practices. In the spring it would be disadvantageous to allow your turkey dog free reign. As I remind Vic - "I wear the whistle you wear the collar and there is a reason for that."
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Return to Fall Hunting