Reader Scores Texas Two-for-One

Whether you're a 10-year-old kid or a 40-year-old kid-at-heart, bagging that first bird is a thrill. This is the place to share photos and stories of your first harvest.
Ben Sobieck

Reader Scores Texas Two-for-One

Postby Ben Sobieck » May 27th, 2009, 9:38 am

How's this for efficiency? Laura Williams, of Tennessee, scored on these Rios the weekend of April 3 at Stasney's Cook Ranch near Albany, Texas. And it only took her one shot.

"The weather was mild, (with) a fair breeze, and we finally picked out and arrived at our location about 6:45 a.m.," Laura wrote. "It was very nerve-racking as 39 hens walked by with three longbeards trailing at the back.

The hens were very close, and (we had) to sit completely still so (we didn't) spook them until the longbeards were within shooting range. It was very exhilarating to watch the longbeards strut and drum while (we waited) for them to approach. At last they arrived, and one still trailed behind a couple of feet.

The leader seemed to stop and pop his head up, and his partner was about a foot and half behind but was quickly catching up. I took the shot dead on at the first gobbler, aiming for the wattles, and boom, they both fell.

I jumped up and couldn't believe it! One shot, two down.

As we walked up to view the birds, I heard the guide remark, 'Jelly heads.' That's yet another term in hunting lingo I picked up."

trkynut54

RE: Reader Scores Texas Two-for-One

Postby trkynut54 » May 27th, 2009, 12:09 pm

Great shot, congrats to her 
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

mark hay

Postby mark hay » May 27th, 2009, 1:36 pm

Nerve racking ? But she managed to control it . That's admirable for sure .
Cngrt's to her and the guide .

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » May 27th, 2009, 1:47 pm

A big congrats to Ms Laura.

To sit statue still with 39 pairs of turkey eyes going by is quite a feat and serves as evidence that shes' made out of the right stuff.

With an experience like this my guess is that she 'll be back to the Lone Star state next year, and the next, and the next..... 

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » May 27th, 2009, 1:56 pm

Two words come to mind:
Woodmanship, and superb!

Congrats to her!
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Return to First Time Turkeys