My Sons first turkey

Whether you're a 10-year-old kid or a 40-year-old kid-at-heart, bagging that first bird is a thrill. This is the place to share photos and stories of your first harvest.
adammschwarz

My Sons first turkey

Postby adammschwarz » May 21st, 2010, 12:29 pm

We had quite an eventful opening Youth Season in Missouri for my 10 year old son this year (4/10/2010).  We put our decoys out in the field first thing in the morning.  After about an hour and a half we had 3 strutters come in behind us and had one directly to our right within 15 yards, but never could get a shot off.  They never committed to the decoys at all and stayed in the timber directly behind us.  It was about as close an encounter and as much action as you can get without actually getting a shot off!

After some breakfast we thought we would sit for the last 2 hours of the day (Quittin time is 1PM in MO).  This time, though, we were smart and sat facing into the timber!  After an hour of sitting I peek out into the field and sure enough a long beard is walking along the tree line straight in front of our setup towards the decoys.  Luckily, my son was able to swing his gun around and get his first shot at a turkey.  Dropped him with his 20 ga at about 25 yards.  It happened real quick, but we were just as excited as if he came in strutting from 100 yards away.  Definitely a proud moment and another turkey hunter to add to the brotherhood!!

DBraman

RE: My Sons first turkey

Postby DBraman » May 21st, 2010, 12:55 pm

That is awesome. Great bird and congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mellon Creek Outfitters
www.melloncreekoutfitters.com

Return to First Time Turkeys