got my first turkey!!

Whether you're a 10-year-old kid or a 40-year-old kid-at-heart, bagging that first bird is a thrill. This is the place to share photos and stories of your first harvest.
blueeyeddragon76

got my first turkey!!

Postby blueeyeddragon76 » October 11th, 2010, 4:54 am

Went out this mornig @ about 6 and tried a good piece of property a friend of mine owns... sat til about 7:45 with no luck, but saw a nice 4 point buck come through, just sitting in front of us..that made the day already!!! Well we decided to try another set of fields we klnow of and got there about 8:15... we spotted a flock of turkeys feeding in the field about 125 yards away, so we started a stalk across one field and followed them into another half way across the field on the other side of a crest i could see a bunch of heads bobbing around, at about 75 yards... threw a few calls, just a few yelps to try and get a response , and we did get a few, the turkeys did not come, but did stay put while we stalked to the crest.. and there 30 yards away were the birds!well just when i am lined up on a nice tom my buddy gets a text from his wife!!! thank god it did not spook the birds, but i was sitting there waving like a mad man to get his attention from 20 yards away from him to hurry up so we could both shoot. by this time the gobbler was in the woods where i could not get a shot, so i lined up on the second biggest bird of the group. put the red dot right on him and pulled the trigger... a second later my friend, Len is his name by the way fired at his bird! We both got birds on opening day, and this was my first time hunting turkey!!! i was and am so excited! i didn't get the gobbler, but i got a decent size jake! my buddy got a hen, and like i told my buddy, i wouldn't have cared if my bird was a 3 pound hen, it was my first turkey.... a 9.5 pound jake will do me just fine for my first! And now i know where we will be setting up right off the bat in the spring!

blueeyeddragon76

RE: got my first turkey!!

Postby blueeyeddragon76 » October 11th, 2010, 4:59 am

mine and len's turkeys! A different view

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » October 11th, 2010, 8:46 am

Great hunt and congrats on your first bird!  A proud day for sure!

shad309

Postby shad309 » October 11th, 2010, 9:11 am

Congrats on the first and may many more fall in front of you!

dewey

Postby dewey » October 11th, 2010, 9:25 am

ORIGINAL: Duke0002

Great hunt and congrats on your first bird!  A proud day for sure!

Like Duke said congratulations on your first turkeys.  Thanks for the story.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

grizzly

Postby grizzly » October 11th, 2010, 9:40 am

congrads on you first bird [:)] wayne

BigBuckeye

Postby BigBuckeye » October 11th, 2010, 10:57 am

If your wife took that pic in the house of you two guys, I would like to trade mine in for that model you got [:D]

Congrats on your birds fellas!!!

Bet Len don't even bring his phone next time [:D][:D]
I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

blueeyeddragon76

Postby blueeyeddragon76 » October 11th, 2010, 1:59 pm

yes as a matter of fact my wife take that pic!!LOL.. sorry she is not for sale or trade.... but for the right price i might rent her out for a bit!!.LOL just kidding!
And no len does not bring the phone next time, if tries that will be the first thing I shoot...lmao
oh and if anyone was wondering the banner in the background is because there was a babtyshower for my daughter this weekend and i forgot to take it down (maybe cuz i was too preoccupied with hunting) .... still can't believe i am gonna be a grandfather in a little over a month..... and i am only 34!!!
Kill It And Grill It!!!
My house is protected by the good lord and my gun!!
If you try to enter without being wanted
you might just meet both!

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » October 14th, 2010, 1:48 pm

Congrats. on a very successful hunt to both of you it don't get any better than that.
Now you are both hooked hope you enjoy it.
Jon
Turkeybuster

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » October 14th, 2010, 3:05 pm

Hey Jay,

Congratulations! That first turkey is always very special. I hope it's but the first of many more.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Next

Return to First Time Turkeys