My First Turkey

Whether you're a 10-year-old kid or a 40-year-old kid-at-heart, bagging that first bird is a thrill. This is the place to share photos and stories of your first harvest.
ncturkeytalk14

My First Turkey

Postby ncturkeytalk14 » July 3rd, 2012, 6:40 am

Name: Mike Davis
Live: Kinston, NC
County Taken: Craven County, NC
Date Taken: 5/7/2011
Bird Weight: 18.4lbs
Spurs: 1 1/16"; 1 1/8"
Beard: 11 1/4"
Taken with: Remington 11-87 shotgun
Bullets: Winchester Extended Range
Sub-Species: Eastern

My son Andrew and I got to the field at 5:50am, little late, for the final day of turkey season in NC. We have been turkey hunting for several years with no success. The morning was foggy, it had rained the night before. I asked my son where he wanted to set at, he chose the back of the field where we had seen several turkeys' just days before. I chose middle way of the field. We walked around the field to our spots, I stopped middle way and started setting up my decoys, he walked on to the back of the field and set up his decoys, I set up in the wood line and waited for my son to finish setting up in the wood line, before we would start any calling. While my son was setting his decoys up in the field he could he some turkeys in the trees behind him "talking" to each other. I texted my son and asked him was he ready, he immediately texted back he was. So at 6:13am I picked up my Knight and Hale Glass Hammer slate call, I made a few yelps and just as I finished the last note, the morning stillness was broken by the beautiful sound of a tom turkey gobbling on the roast. The hair stood up on my back and head, I thought man this is totally awesome. So we waited, my son could also hear the turkeys behind him "talking" to each other. We waited, a crow came cawing by the ol' tom gobbled at him. Then in few minutes we could hear some turkeys cackling as they were flying down from their roast. About 10 minutes later I struck the call again and immediately the ol'tom gobbled again. I could tell he was not more than 50 yards from where my son had chosen to set up at. Man I sure hope my son can kill this bird; he is right up on top of him. Of the couple of birds that had flown down by my son, he texted me and told me that a Jake and hen were headed my way, but in my mind I did not want to shoot a Jake knowing Mr. Tom was here. So I waited. My son watched the tom glide down toward his decoys, he touched one foot on the ground about 60 yards from my son and diverted to flying across the field to a hen, checked her out then walked back toward the decoys, stopped and gobbled. My son could see the steam coming out of mouth when he was gobbling; he stopped walking toward his decoys at about 70 yards and then started in a full run across the field toward my decoys. My son was texting me as fast as he could to tell me dad don't shoot the Jake there is a big tom headed your way. I looked across the field and I could see his white head bobbing as he was running across the field toward my decoys. As he ran I got my gun into position, took the safety off and had a bead on him and I was waiting for him to make his move. He came in to check the decoys and looked at them and stepped back, as if he knew he should not be there, he turned around and was moving his head and I figured it was now or never so I fired and he fell down and started to flop, and acted as if he may want to fly, he picked 1 foot off the ground and I fired again, this time he stayed on the ground flopping and I went running to him. Totally Awesome!! This beautiful bird was down at 6:35am. This was so wonderful to have experienced this with my son. Both of us hunting together!
Attachments
IMG00033-20110507-0802 - Copy.jpg
IMG00033-20110507-0802 - Copy.jpg (25.87 KiB) Viewed 442 times

Steve_In

Re: My First Turkey

Postby Steve_In » July 3rd, 2012, 9:45 am

Congradulations. That is a great story, only thing to make it better would have been for your son to have scored too.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

ncturkeytalk14

Re: My First Turkey

Postby ncturkeytalk14 » July 3rd, 2012, 10:56 am

You can sure believe that!!! I was sure praying that he would, as well as my other two sons.

Return to First Time Turkeys