9 years old first Tom

Whether you're a 10-year-old kid or a 40-year-old kid-at-heart, bagging that first bird is a thrill. This is the place to share photos and stories of your first harvest.
LittleBird

9 years old first Tom

Postby LittleBird » June 15th, 2012, 8:22 am

April 20th, 2012 My son Sage and I set out early for his first turkey hunt in Nebraska. We set up in a spot that I passed on 2 toms the weekend before thinking it would be a perfect hunt for him. After walking a 1/3 mile through a fresh tilled corn field we got busted by the farmers big sheep dog out cruising the property, just as the sun was popping the horizon... as heading to the plan B spot we spotted a nice Tom about a 1/4 mile off the gravel road with 5 hens. We drove on past and set up about a 1/4 mile south of the bird across the corn. Sage was getting SO MAD at me because the bird was locked up with the hens and he was wanting to shoot. Not understanding he can't shot 300 yards away. We ended up scaring those birds off after about 30 mins. Now its getting closer to 7:30am and we need to get to plan B spot 5 miles away. That was a long trip. Sage was not talking at all to me. Just staring out the window of our truck. Never hunting my plan B spot for turkey or even walked the property, I knew they were there . As walking in we heard a couple Toms way off. We found a nice spot on a slope next to a deep ravine and hay field. We set up our Zink "Look Out" decoy. Made a few calls and Sage quickly fell asleep. At about 9am a hen came in right to our decoy and walked a circle around it and then strolled right up within 10 feet of us and checked us out. It was really cool to see Sage's face seeing that hen so close. After the hen left us I made a soft yelp and BAM he made both of us jump. This Tom was upon us. He was coming up behind us on the other side of the ravine. Which put us right out in the open with no cover. Sage got his Mossberg 510 mini 20g ready. The bird strolled right along the ravine about 25 yards from us. As I told Sage "NOW" he put a perfect aim on the perfect first time bird. 8 1/2" beard 5/8" spur
Now I have a young hunter that is hooked on turkey hunting. So much for dad trying to hunt the rest of the season without him.
Attachments
DSC00487.JPG
Us together with Sage's bird
DSC00487.JPG (1.02 MiB) Viewed 384 times
DSC00485.JPG
Happy Boy
DSC00485.JPG (1008.07 KiB) Viewed 384 times
DSC00483.JPG
8 1/2" beard
DSC00483.JPG (895.34 KiB) Viewed 384 times
DSC00482.JPG
5/8' spur