First Ever Turkey This Morning

Whether you're a 10-year-old kid or a 40-year-old kid-at-heart, bagging that first bird is a thrill. This is the place to share photos and stories of your first harvest.
dstn76

First Ever Turkey This Morning

Postby dstn76 » April 16th, 2012, 2:39 pm

This morning was the first time I have ever been turkey hunting. I have been scouting public land since early this fall and at the last minute, I got invited to hunt on 120 acres that my bosses family owns with the condition that I take my boss who has also never been turkey hunting.

Long story short, I think we got set up too late and the birds were already off the roost and past our ambush point so we started walking the field edges and calling ever so often. Near the end of the property I heard a very vague gobble. I called again and the gobble got louder. I hurried up and got my decoy set in a clearing and by the time I set back down I could the turkey was gobbling very close.

It seemed like forever before I finally saw his full strut fan peak over the little rise we were setting behind. That was at 35 yards and was as close as he would get. I was waiting to shoot because even though I could see him strut and see him gobble, I couldn't see the whole turkey and didn't know how big the beard was.

About then, 2 other turkeys popped over the ridge and straight for the decoy. I realized then that my big ole goobler was a big ole jake :D Anyway, he started to walk away and I busted him. It may only be a jake but I am thrilled with my first bird!
Attachments
turkey.jpg
turkey.jpg (30.64 KiB) Viewed 503 times

Gopherlongbeards

Re: First Ever Turkey This Morning

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 17th, 2012, 12:05 am

Congrats on the first bird! You'll remember that one for the rest of your life.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » April 17th, 2012, 7:28 am

Great, congradulations :D Hope you get many more.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

retranger

Postby retranger » April 17th, 2012, 11:33 am

Good job!! :) A legal bird is a good bird. Lot of fellows won't shoot a jake but makes no difference to me ;)
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Return to First Time Turkeys