Two New Turkey Hunting Addicts

Whether you're a 10-year-old kid or a 40-year-old kid-at-heart, bagging that first bird is a thrill. This is the place to share photos and stories of your first harvest.
DBraman

Two New Turkey Hunting Addicts

Postby DBraman » April 9th, 2012, 11:29 am

Jeff and Nicholas, a father son combo was ready to experience turkey hunting. Jeff had been once, this would be Nicholas’ first time and neither had ever taken a turkey. It was important to Jeff that he see his 11 year old son take his first turkey; so, on the first morning they wanted to hunt together. We went out the evening they arrived and tried to locate some birds. We heard one gobble and it was distant so I decided to hunt some birds in an area I knew. Before daylight we stopped well short of where we wanted to hunt. I knew where the birds were but I wanted Nicholas to experience the whole thing. I blew a howl on the coyote locator and the woods erupted with gobbles right where I thought they would. I knew right where I wanted to set up and we walked in and got everything just as I wanted it. With Jeff on my right and Nicholas on my left these birds would be toast shortly after fly down. WRONG!! Just like a turkey has done so many times in the past, they didn’t do what I thought they would do. They flew down and walked directly away from us. When it comes to turkey hunting I have a lot of patience so I just set tight. Every once in a while I would make some soft yelps and each time the old tom would gobble. After around an hour I noticed those gobbles getting closer so we set and waited. The bird got to within literal feet of being in view and turned and walked right around us. For ten minutes he was within 30 yards but we couldn’t see him. Back in the truck we decided to go to a strut area that a big tom had been frequenting every day. When we turned the corner, sure enough, there he was. He walked off the road and we quickly set up. I put out a jake and hen decoy. On the first series of calls I hear birds gobbling in a different direction then where this bird had gone. Just then Jeff said that he saw them. They came fast and never even thought about hanging up at a fence. They quickly walked under the bottom strand and proceeded to whip my jake decoy. Jeff shot and then Nicholas. I don’t know how their first turkey hunt could get any better. First time turkey hunt and to take a double with your son. I had two happy hunters on my hands but neither was as happy as me. That evening they decided to split up. Nicholas went with me, and Jeff with Jimmy (another guide and Mellon Creek Outfitters). Nicholas and I got set up and started calling about every thirty minutes. For the first two hours Nicholas slept without moving a muscle. Just when I thought the evening hunt wouldn’t end as well for us as the morning did a coyote howled. At the end of the howl came a gobble. The birds walked a half circle around us and I thought they had gone. We heard them gobble behind us and this gave me hope so I yelped at them and when they answered I shut the calling up. It wasn’t long before I could hear drumming behind us. Four big long beards and a hen came in. The long beards were in full strut for several minutes no more then 20 yards away. I told Nicholas which bird to take and he did with a great shot. Just then I got a text from Jimmy saying that Jeff had gotten his second bird as well. Happy hunters for sure, especially when Nicholas took a nice hog that evening as well.
Attachments
DSC00674.jpg
DSC00674.jpg (67.28 KiB) Viewed 425 times
DSCN0667.jpg
Jeff's second bird
DSCN0667.jpg (65.75 KiB) Viewed 425 times
DSC00665.jpg
Nic's second bird
DSC00665.jpg (59.95 KiB) Viewed 425 times
DSC00648.jpg
Jef and Nic with their double
DSC00648.jpg (66.94 KiB) Viewed 425 times
Mellon Creek Outfitters
www.melloncreekoutfitters.com

Steve_In

Re: Two New Turkey Hunting Addicts

Postby Steve_In » April 10th, 2012, 8:35 am

Great job. Those gobblers are almost as big as Nic. It will be a hunt both will remember.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Return to First Time Turkeys