Good Turkey Jerky

Share your favorite ways to prepare the world's tastiest game bird.
coltanlee

Good Turkey Jerky

Postby coltanlee » May 16th, 2010, 6:37 pm

Cut your breast meat up into thin jerky strips. Season them with Hi Mountain Jerky & Cure Kit. wrap it up tight and let marinate for at least 24 hours. Put your oven on the lowest setting possible. Get some jerky racks that you can put in the oven. lay the strips on the racks and pop them into the oven. Open the oven door so it stays open and has a gap of about 8-10 inches. Keep rotating the meat about every 45 min for about 2 hours or however long you want to. I like my jerky real tough and chewy so i keep mine in a little longer. It works just like a dehydrater but doesnt take up the time required with one. use this seasoning here.

If it sounds country man, thats what it is!

Bryan78

RE: Good Turkey Jerky

Postby Bryan78 » May 17th, 2010, 4:24 am

I don't know how Turkey jerky smells when you make it in the oven but I do know that I will never dehydrate deer meat indoors again.  That was one awful smell that lasted forever.[:'(]

But the jerky tasted great, just smelled bad cooking.

eggshell

RE: Good Turkey Jerky

Postby eggshell » May 30th, 2010, 12:39 pm

I have used a lot of the High Mt jerky mixes with excellent results. I like the pepper myself and I set my oven on 200 and turn the jerky once about 45 minutes in. Turkey cooks faster than deer so keep an eye on it. When it cools it will be slightly tougher so take it out just before you think it's done enough. I usually go 2 hrs for venison and 1 1/2 for turkey. It does smell up the house some. I have also used a smoker but find it hard to regulate heat. Oven cooked jerky should be refrigerated.

Ben Sobieck

Re: Good Turkey Jerky

Postby Ben Sobieck » August 10th, 2011, 12:24 pm

Sounds good, I'll have to give this a try

Return to Wild Turkey Recipes