xx full xxxfull comp-n-choke

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
bamabirdbuster13

xx full xxxfull comp-n-choke

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » March 20th, 2012, 9:00 pm

hey everyone ive made the switch back to 6s, and im wanting to switch to a super tight tube to max the shot. im currently shooting federal flight control 6s out of a gobblin thunder. i also thought about shooting a hevi 13 6s or 7s.. is anyone shooting the comp-n-choke xxfull or xxxfull id like to know how you like the tube or if you know of a better xx or xxx full tube let me know your input. thanks
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

eddie234

Re: xx full xxxfull comp-n-choke

Postby eddie234 » March 20th, 2012, 9:48 pm

I've got a comp n choke in .655 for my Winchester 1300, I'm shooting Winchester extended range #6's 3in. I get excellent patterns. I'm pretty sure you can't use any of the heavier than lead brands.
Twitter: @edvogler

air leak

Postby air leak » March 21st, 2012, 6:57 am

I have a XXXFull on my Win 1300, and Rem 870. Nice tight pattern @ 40 yards. I use Rem 3" 12 ga. 2 oz # 4 Copperplated Magnum turkey loads. I want max killing power at extended ranges. Number 4 shot has more power than number 6 shot at 40-45 yards.

Comp N Choke recommends using # 6 shot in shorter barrels. My son had a short barrel on his Mossberg 535, 12 ga, 22 inches if I remember correctly. He also has a Comp N Choke.

A few years back, my son and I shot a double. Both birds were approx 40 yards. I hit my bird with # 4's, my son hit his with 3 inch Federal's, 1 7/8 oz # 6's. My bird was blown backwards, and didn't twitch. My son's bird was also blown back, but flapped for a solid minute.

Checking both birds, I had pass thru's with the # 4's in the head and neck area. My son's bird did not have any pass thru's. From that day, he switched to # 4.

With all due respect, I don't care how many pellets are in a 10" circle @ 40 yards. I care about killing big, tough turkeys, real dead @ 45 yards.

Also, very important. You cannot use Hevi Shot in a Comp N Choke. It must be lead, or copperplated lead.

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » March 21st, 2012, 1:09 pm

air leak, I agree. my understanding is the winchester extended range #6's are compairable to #4 lead shot. My 1300 has a short barrel and the combination of the 6 shot and tight choke are excellent for my gun.
Twitter: @edvogler

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » March 21st, 2012, 1:38 pm

bamabirdbuster13 wrote:hey everyone ive made the switch back to 6s, and im wanting to switch to a super tight tube to max the shot. im currently shooting federal flight control 6s out of a gobblin thunder. i also thought about shooting a hevi 13 6s or 7s.. is anyone shooting the comp-n-choke xxfull or xxxfull id like to know how you like the tube or if you know of a better xx or xxx full tube let me know your input. thanks

First of all, the Comp N Choke and Gobblin Thunder turkey chokes are excellent well made products. They are designed to use high quality lead shot loads but are also approved for Winchester XRHD shells but not for Hevi-Shot products. Those companies normally recommend Winchester lead shot shells.

They are also not designed for the Flitecontrol Wad shells from Federal, regardless of shot type but if you're getting good patterns through that Gobblin Thunder, it must be working for you.

Some of the best patterning chokes that I shoot regularly and recommend to my readers are the SSX Turkey Chokes. You can take a look a them here
http://allaboutshooting.com/index.php?c ... 6b78ea84ff

Please let me know if I can be of any help.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » March 22nd, 2012, 7:33 am

As Clark Mentioned Comp N Choke are not recommended for some loads, these loads tend to be the best patterning loads available.. If I were spending that much on a choke there are numerous other options that are rated for these shot types in the same price category as Comp N Choke.. Even if you do not have an interest in these loads at present time, you may have the urge to try them later down the road and would have to spend additional money on another choke..

bamabirdbuster13

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » March 22nd, 2012, 4:22 pm

yea ive seen where they advertise that its not good to shoot hevi shot thru the gobblin thunder but i was talking to the owner of the hardware store here in town that sells kicks tubes and he said the distributor told him thats what you want to shoot . so i figured comp-n-choke bein from the same company would give me a xx or xxx full option
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » March 23rd, 2012, 7:49 am

bamabirdbuster13 wrote:yea ive seen where they advertise that its not good to shoot hevi shot thru the gobblin thunder but i was talking to the owner of the hardware store here in town that sells kicks tubes and he said the distributor told him thats what you want to shoot . so i figured comp-n-choke bein from the same company would give me a xx or xxx full option

I have shot numerous rounds of hevi through a Kicks choke, but look at the design of the Kicks vs the Comp N Choke.. The metal and porting design would have me scared and there are pictures out there of them chokes splitting.

wingseeker

Postby wingseeker » March 24th, 2012, 9:27 am

Look at the HeviShot turkey choke tubes. I am using them and could not be more pleased with
the patterns that I am getting. They are designed to be used in conjunction with their
turkey shells and function great. When you use ANY aftermarket tube be sure and use choke
tube lube.

Return to Shooting