Choke question?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Kyturkeyfan

Choke question?

Postby Kyturkeyfan » March 29th, 2011, 3:02 am

I have a carlson 650 in my Benelli super nova. It shoots 3 1/2 win. 2oz #6s great. But my question is would i get better patterns out of say a 655 choke?

retranger

RE: Choke question?

Postby retranger » March 29th, 2011, 3:19 am

I am not a gun expert but if you have a good pattern out to 40 yards, (plenty of pellets in the neck and head) on a turkey target I would leave it alone. I think beyond that range you may not have energy enough to take the bird out. Just my opinion. [8|] Good luck
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 29th, 2011, 3:28 am

Donald, The only way to find out how your gun would perform with a different choke is to try it. I've had differnet loads perform poorly from the same gun that shot another brand very well. I shoot a Benelli SBE II and it just doesn't like Remington shells for some reason. It also shoots 3" shells better than 3.5"s. I have three different turkey chokes (.650, .655, & .643) and each constriction produced a tighter pattern than the one before it. From my experience, a tighter constriction would help tighten your pattern, especially shooting #6s, but that's not always the case. I have seen a tighter choke cause an uneven pattern, particularly with bigger sized shot or harder shot.

A lot depends on your hunting situation too. I hunt a few spots that are heavy cover where too tight a pattern wouldn't work as well as a more open pattern does.

I hope this helps. Good luck this Spring.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 29th, 2011, 4:14 am

Does your Nova have the 24"- 26" - 28" barrel on it?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Kyturkeyfan

Postby Kyturkeyfan » March 29th, 2011, 5:16 am

It's the super nova with steady grip and 24 inch. Yeah guess you guys are right should leave it alone. It has a great killing pattern at 40 yards. Human nature to allways second guess. Second best shell is remington premier 3 inch 2oz #6s.

sugarray

Postby sugarray » March 30th, 2011, 8:08 am

I'm going to say shoot it and see. You never know. What are your patterns like now and what are the "improvements" you are looking to get? Those #6's will kill out to 50 yds if your pattern hold up, and it might not unless you go tighter. I just like to shoot and try new things, you just never know what you are going to learn. You have probably heard as well, if you are wanting the easiest way to improve you patterns, try Hevi Shot or Winchester Xtended Range.

Return to Shooting