Hornadys Heavy Magnum Loads

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
kygobbler

Hornadys Heavy Magnum Loads

Postby kygobbler » March 7th, 2012, 6:28 pm

I just read artice about Hornadys New Heavy Magnum Turkey Loads. I was wondering if anyboby has tried them out yet. They are nickel-plated lead loads in only 3" shells. The cool thing about them is that they dont require a turkey choke. Hornady says its best to use either an improved cyclinder or modified choke. Supposely the shoot at 1300 fps and are lethal at 50 yards.

If anyone has tried them yet, did you like the pattern and results with this ammo? Here is a link to the website that I was reading.

http://www.hornady.com/store/Heavy-Magnum-Turkey-New
Is it turkey season yet?

timberjack86

Re: Hornadys Heavy Magnum Loads

Postby timberjack86 » March 10th, 2012, 4:48 pm

I would love to see some patterns out of a modified choke with these.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » March 10th, 2012, 11:46 pm

I ordered some the other day and they arrived at the house today. Im planning on going and patterning them either Monday or Tuesday and see how they do with both chokes. When I get done I will post on how they turned out, good or bad.
Is it turkey season yet?

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » March 11th, 2012, 9:02 am

Here's a link to an article about my work with this shell, thus far http://allaboutshooting.com/article_inf ... b9efce1a2b

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

xcal1ber

Postby xcal1ber » March 14th, 2012, 2:44 am

Please post up your observations using the improved cylinder and the modified chokes.. This is a really interesting shell.
There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
-Fred Bear

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » March 14th, 2012, 3:50 am

Well after loading two semi trucks full of straw bales I found a 15 minute window to try out the shells. I tried tese shells out of my Winchester SX3 with the Invecter Plus Choke tubes. The nicest way I can put it is, as of right now, they are not worth the time or money. I had a piece of cardboard that was 36" x 56". From 40 yards these shells with the improved cyclinder had about a 30" spread. The pattern was way too spread out to make a solid good kill. Only had about 5 or 6 pellets in the kill zone. I put in the modified choke and the pattern was a little better but nothing to brag about. If I had to go and kill a gobbler with one of these shells I would not take a shot over 30 yards.

I would post pics of the patterns and give more exact data on how they did but you know the old saying that some days your the bug and some days your the windshield. Well today I was the bug. When we got done loading the semis I noticed my cell phone was gone. Thankfully, I wasnt in the semi so I know its not going to eastern KY but while searching thru the straw in the dark I ran into Mr. LePue. Yes, he did decide to give me his nice aroma and oh how happy I am about that. :evil: Right now all my stuff is in my SUV and it stinks so bad I can not get in it to get the stuff out and make accurate counts.

This weekend Im going to try the shells again with the Winchester but use the full choke and see how it does. Also, Im going to try my Bennelli Nova and see if the shells perform any better with it.

Oh, I almost forgot to say, no I still havent found my cell phone.
Is it turkey season yet?

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » March 14th, 2012, 9:21 am

wow, i thought that kinda stuff just happened to me......good luck w/ that cell phone and hope your days take a drastic turn for the better..... ;) i saw the ads for these loads, and was considering getting a box to try out, but after reading the reviews from you guys, i'll just stick w/ what i know works.....
David

You never know, unless you go

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » March 14th, 2012, 7:33 pm

There is a post on another forum on these. Everyone is saying they are garbage.
South Carolina Low Country

jlipari001

Postby jlipari001 » March 16th, 2012, 1:06 pm

Anyone looking to quote or post a comment on the Hornady Turkey Load 3" Mag # 5 shot using a Rhino Choke at 35 yards let us know if your ok with this pattern.
Attachments
Hornady.jpg
3"MAG HORNADY # 5 SHOT RESULTS
Hornady.jpg (52.39 KiB) Viewed 1845 times

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » March 16th, 2012, 7:20 pm

Try shooting a few other turkey loads at the same distance then compare targets , to me that isnt a good pattern at 35 yds. It would have killed that bird and will work if you dont shoot any farther than that.

Jon
Turkeybuster

Return to Shooting