Hevi-13 #6s

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Cut N Run

Hevi-13 #6s

Postby Cut N Run » March 15th, 2011, 6:15 am

I got a couple of boxes of Hevi-13 in 3 inch #6s from a friend and wondered if anyone else here shoots them and what choke they shoot them out of. It will be my first try with non-lead shot, so I'm looking for some input. I realize that each gun is different & time at the range will tell it all. Thanks for any replies or advice.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

kenturkey89

RE: Hevi-13 #6s

Postby kenturkey89 » March 15th, 2011, 9:22 am

Hey Jim, I use Hevi-13 3" 2oz. #6 through my SSX choke to get the patterns I told you about in one of your other threads a few days ago. I've always been a big fan of hevi-shot and Clark told me that those shells pattern the best with that choke, so I took his word for it and I was impressed with the results. The SSX-Hevi 13 3" 2oz. #6 combo actually set a world record in a still target competition not too long ago. Not sure what gun it was paired up with but it shoots mighty fine from my Vinci[;)] Good luck with your patterning!
Brian

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 15th, 2011, 11:35 am

Thanks Brian. I remembered you post and was also looking to see if any others here had the same results. I'm really looking forward to getting in some range time & seeing what I can look forward to in the turkey woods.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » March 16th, 2011, 4:25 am

Hey Jim,

I shoot those shells through lots of guns and with the SSX I get great results. That's what I'd recommend.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

tradewater

Postby tradewater » March 16th, 2011, 3:54 pm

Hey there. I have shot the hevi-shot #6s for years and they were great. This year I have switched to the hevi-shot magnum blend. I dont know what they do to a turkey head but I am shooting the most awesome pattern on paper that i have ever seen.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 17th, 2011, 12:03 pm

Thanks very much for the replies. I'm looking forward to punching some paper and busting some turkeys with 'em.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Tranz

Postby Tranz » March 19th, 2011, 4:49 pm

Have my Benelli patterned with the Hevi 13 3" 1.75oz #6 loads, 269 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards using a Final Strut .655 choke...problem is, the shells are loaded with mostly #8 shot. This shell contained 567 pellets of various sizes.
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll28 ... 0864-1.jpg

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 20th, 2011, 7:40 am

WOW! I have to admit that I am now converted to Hevi Shot after seeing through my own eyes what everybody else has been saying about how well they perform out of the TruGlo SSX choke. I know I'm late getting to the party on this deal, but dang! I'm a believer. Even though they are more expensive, the Hevis will do a better job of stopping a turkey in his tracks. Plus, for no more shots than I take during the season, they just aren't that expensive.

I haven't dissected any of the Hevi shot 2 ounce shells yet, but the size difference in the pellet diameter sure is interesting. I guess as long as it holds it's energy and patterns well at normal hunting ranges there should be no problem in pellet size difference.

The Hevi Shot sure did out-perform the Winchesters with lead by almost 2:1 at 30, 40, & 50 yards (I'm stunned!!). The difference was incredible. I shot some of the 1 & 3/4 ounce Winchester shells (what I've been hunting with for the past decade) and some of the 2 ounce Winchesters & 2 ounce Federals. The Federals did slightly better than the Winchesters through that choke, though the difference was just a few pellets. A few pellets can make all the difference in the world in dropping a gobbler in his tracks and having to chase him down. Neither of those compared to the Hevi Shot.

There is a tangible difference between Hevi shot and Lead & I look forward to using it to my advantage from here on.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

NMblackgold

Postby NMblackgold » April 2nd, 2011, 10:19 am

Jim, sorry to be a late commer to this, you will notice the biggest difference between lead and hevi when you actually hit a bird with hevi-shot. Its the difference between being hit by a cannon ball or a tennis ball, you won't believe it till you see it!

I switched 3 years ago:

12, Hevi-13, 3", 2oz, 6s

Return to Shooting