The Price of Tungsten

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
allaboutshooting

The Price of Tungsten

Postby allaboutshooting » February 20th, 2012, 9:16 pm

I have frankly hesitated just a bit to write this but current conditions seem to make it necessary.

Some of you may be aware that the price of raw tungsten has just about doubled in the last 30 days. That has already had an effect and will have an even more profound effect on the price and availability of shotshells that many of us shoot.

At least one shotshell manufacturer has eliminated one shotshell that they had planned to introduce and produce for 2012. Don't look for those 20 gauge Winchester Xtended Range Hi-Density #6 shot shells that are featured in their 2012 catalog, they won't be produced.

We have already seen prices rise at both the wholesale and retail level and quite possibly, we "ain't seen nothing yet" as far as that goes.

I think it is necessary that we understand the situation and that the shotshell manufacturers have very little to with these price increases. Some may choose to forgo production, as at least one already has, and we may not be able to find the shells we want or need.

I suspect that some shotshell manufacturers have held the line on their prices, despite several price increases for their components. They can only do that for so long and I suspect that with the recent increases, it's no longer possible.

We will probably also see some retailers or wholesalers mark up their existing stock. If they have seen price sheets, they know what's coming with their next order. That seems to happen at times.

This is not good news for us but is a reality of life, just like the almost $4.00 per gallon that I paid for regular unleaded gasoline just a few hours ago.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

icdedturkes

Re: The Price of Tungsten

Postby icdedturkes » February 21st, 2012, 1:14 pm

I was unaware that loading was even in the works, I was hoping for it, for years..

I think with rising metal prices, the days of new and better loadings in HTL shotshells each years is coming to an end.. The already small market for these shotshells is gonna continue to shrink as folks go to retail stores and experience the sticker shock.. For me it will probably mean less testing and sticking to the status quo that I know works..

If they rise to a price I do not see the cost justifying the results I will go from the 20 to the 12 and go back to good old lead.

However I may make the switch to this to do away with metals in my shotshells entirely http://seasonshot.com/

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 21st, 2012, 7:27 pm

If a wholesaler or retailer marks up current stock purchased at the old price they are a crook. If I see that happening it will be the last time I deal with them and the old story they all do it is not true. They are gouging.
Good retailers will sell off old stock at current pricing before uping the price. Thanks for the tip Clark looks like the day of tungsten shot is out the door. What is the excuse for this piracy the change everybody wanted three years ago?

Jon
Turkeybuster

onpoint

Postby onpoint » February 21st, 2012, 8:37 pm

Bummer!! Just purchased a 20 gauge beretta for turkey huntin and was depending on using Hevi-shot :evil:
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » February 21st, 2012, 10:43 pm

onpoint wrote:Bummer!! Just purchased a 20 gauge beretta for turkey huntin and was depending on using Hevi-shot :evil:

But you got to look at it this way as well.. The girlfriend and I will hit the road this spring for 2 weeks straight.. We might hit 3 states and maybe 4.. Between gas, hotels, meals, licenses, trespass fees we will have somewhere around 4000 dollars into this trip.. Look at the price of ammo, even if it doubles and we come home with 20 turkeys, the load we currently shoot is 3 bucks a piece, that is 60 extra dollars on top of 4000..

Heck even back home with ensuring are loads are sighted in and killing a couple birds as well as maybe a second trip down to another state maybe another 72 dollars.. Or 36 bucks more than we spent before the rise in cost..

With your new gun you can expect to burn 2 boxes say in a two bird state if you do not intend to travel the first year.. Say Fed HW 7s if they went to 6 bucks a piece, use dove loads to get your sighting device on target, burn a few with 2 choke tubes, get your poison and go kill 2 birds.. You have 8 rounds into patterning and 2 into killing for 60 bucks..

The next year burn one to check POI and kill two birds you have 18 dollars into your ammo..

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » February 22nd, 2012, 12:11 am

Just a couple of additional thoughts. First, it's not the fault of the manufacturers that the price of the base metal, tungsten, has doubled. I suspect that many of the prices for components have risen over the last several years and that most of those costs have not been passed along to us. There is always a limit to how much pain any manufacturer can absorb before they are forced to raise their prices.

Secondly, even with much higher prices, the cost of our shells is still the least expensive part of our hunt for most of us. It's not that I want higher prices because I don't but I'm trying to keep all these things in perspective.

I hunt mostly public ground here in Illinois. My trip to the best public area that I hunt and a return trip uses about 5 gallons of gasoline at almost $4.00 per gallon now. I'll make that trip a couple of times before the season and the number during the season depends upon my success. Either way, I'll spend about $80.00 in gasoline just to hunt one time on public ground, for one season, if I kill out on the first hunt.

You get the picture.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

dawei

Postby dawei » February 25th, 2012, 2:54 pm

I understand the rationale of how small the cost of HTL, even if double now; is to the overall expense of the turkey season. The truth of the situation for me however, is, I cleanly and humanely harvest birds out to 40yds with Pb; and a 20ga. I have ABSOLUTE CONFIDENCE in my Wrights® Swarm™ choke (.555"), and Winchester® Supreme® Pb ammunition.

Because of this I DO NOT NEED an HTL load to successfully turkey hunt. The $$ I would spend on HTL ammo are better spent on Gasoline or a new call for example.
David
Only two defining forces have ever died for you:
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross + 3Nails = 4Given

wingseeker

Postby wingseeker » March 24th, 2012, 9:35 am

ALso, you must keep in mind HOW MANY shells you normally shoot in an average turkey season.
I am guessing the number is 5 to 10 (patterning aside). So, if the shell prices increase you are
not talking about that much money. It will not deter me from buying the Hevi13 and Magnum
Blend HeviShot shells that I use. Raw material increases are becoming a way of life it seems as is
the rise in gasoline prices.....REALITY. I would buy shells now and USE ALL AVAILABLE rebates.

Return to Shooting