Hevi-Shot Magnum Blend?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
wordbird

RE: Hevi-Shot Magnum Blend?

Postby wordbird » February 26th, 2011, 8:33 am

I've been shooting the Win Extended range in my 835 with a Jellyhead. They have served me well. Great pattern at 40 yards and I've killed birds out to 60 with it. I just won an 835 thumbhole at our banquet and have been getting it set up to hunt. I put the Jellyhead in it and tried the Win's and didn't get hardly as good a pattern as I did out of the older 835. The new gun has a shorter barrel and I'm sure some different characteristics in the forcing cone. I just bought a box of the new Hevi Shot blend and will pattern the new gun with them Monday. I'll let you know how they do. I'm expecting a big improvement based on what I've been hearing about them.
"The only absolute in turkey hunting is that there are no absolutes."

Big10Inch

Postby Big10Inch » February 26th, 2011, 8:41 am

Hi Carlton:

Just a question about the Kicks...I was interesterd in getting a Kicks for an 870 Express, 3" chamber, 21" barrel, but I have noticed that they are 'lead only'. You are shooting Hevi shot. Is there a different version of Kicks choke that I missed out on?

Peter

Longbeards

Postby Longbeards » February 26th, 2011, 8:55 am

I get a very good pattern with my 835 ulti mag shooting the Hevi blend. I do shoot the Nitro though and get a much better pattern even out to 60yrds. My shoulder gets a very good pattern also...[:(]

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 26th, 2011, 3:29 pm

I killed two gobblers with the magnum blend since my last post they sure do bust them up but it is easy to miss with a pattern that tight if I was going to shoot them exclusively I think I would open the choke to .675 or 680.

Jon
Turkeybuster

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » February 26th, 2011, 7:12 pm

Sounds like that magnum blend kicks butt in every sense of the word. Let me see if I got this right. These shells cost any where between $3.40 to $4.20 a shell and they are going to kick my butt when I pull the trigger, so I can kill a bird 20 more yards away.[8|] I tip my hat to ya who wants to do it, but I like my shoulder where it is. I think I can wait a few more minutes on that bird and shoot him with my Win. supremes at 40 yds or closer.
Is it turkey season yet?

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 27th, 2011, 10:40 am

Kill the bird first there is plenty of time later to worry about your shoulder and the cost of the shell!

Jon [;)]
Turkeybuster

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » February 27th, 2011, 1:51 pm

I like that. lol [:D][:D][:D][:D]
Is it turkey season yet?

kyhareraiser

Postby kyhareraiser » March 4th, 2011, 9:58 am

i picked up a box of 5 to try out with the new(used) mossberg 500 in 20 ga.. bought a primos hevi-shot choke (.570) to see if it beats the x-full choke from the ossberg co... they were 17.00 and change

870aficianado

Postby 870aficianado » March 10th, 2011, 8:06 am

I have used Hevi-shot in the past and if it works in your gun, go for it. I personally dont care about shell cost. I dont like to waste money but gas, calls, decoys, blinds, your license, and other travel expenses are what drives up the cost, not the shells. I shot 4 times last year (ok I admit one was a miss!), so the cost of the shells isnt my worry.

Dialing in the pattern may cost a bit, but overall once you are dialed in the cost of expensive shells shouldn't be a worry.

I am shooting old school Remington 4x6 Magnum blend currently, since my 870 with briley .665 choke likes them- they happen to be fairly affordable but thats not why I chose them. I will probably give the Magnum blend a try to see if it works better provided I can find time to hit the range.

beagler

Postby beagler » March 24th, 2011, 3:37 pm

I'm currently experimenting with the Hevishot Magnum Blend shells vs. Nitro Company shells that I've been using for years (4 X 5 X 7 hevishot). I'm using both a Rhino Choke and an Indian Creek Black Diamond Choke in my Benelli SBE 2. I'm getting very similar results with both chokes/loads. The Rhino/Nitro combination winning out by a hair. I'm pushing 300 pellets in a 10" circle at 40yds.
My local Gander sells the Magnum Blend shells for about $26 (box of 5) with tax. The Nitro's go for around $175 for a box of 25.

PreviousNext

Return to Shooting