Turkey and Bird Gun Advice

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
tomhunter21

Turkey and Bird Gun Advice

Postby tomhunter21 » February 5th, 2012, 3:42 pm

Hello there! I'm new to the forum. Looks like a lot of great people on here....

I'm looking for a good turkey gun, which can also double as a good bird gun (pheasants, etc)? I am a big Remington fan but, but have heard that Mossberg has some nice guns out there as well. I see there are quite a few guns that are tailored just for turkey hunting, or so it seems, so there is where my confusion is.

Thanks!

allaboutshooting

Re: Turkey and Bird Gun Advice

Postby allaboutshooting » February 6th, 2012, 11:58 pm

tomhunter21 wrote:Hello there! I'm new to the forum. Looks like a lot of great people on here....

I'm looking for a good turkey gun, which can also double as a good bird gun (pheasants, etc)? I am a big Remington fan but, but have heard that Mossberg has some nice guns out there as well. I see there are quite a few guns that are tailored just for turkey hunting, or so it seems, so there is where my confusion is.

Thanks!

First of all welcome to T&TH. You are correct in that there are lots of fine folks here and all of us will be as helpful as possible.

Normally, I advise anyone to try as many guns as possible by visiting gun stores and shouldering different guns. If you have friends that have different guns, so much the better. They probably would let you put a few rounds through them and see how the feel when shot as well.

Fit is probably the most important feature of any gun. If it does not fit, it won't be comfortable for you to shoot and comfort creates accuracy and confidence. Confidence in your "tools" is vital. When you know your gun will do what's needed, time after time, you can concentrate more on your other skills to bring those birds in to your set-up.

You present an interesting challenge however, in looking for a bird gun that also serves as a turkey gun or the other way around.

For me, that would narrow the choices somewhat. I'll make some recommendations without regard to price and in the order that I'd pick them.

The 3" Benelli Vinci would be my first pick. It's light, very quick, cycles all 2.75" and 3" shells without fail and requires very little in the way of maintenance. The exterior finish is non-glare and bore is chrome-lined. It does not use a gas system, so nothing really that you must clean to keep it going.

The 3" Winchester Super X 3 would be my second choice. It's another very light gun, quick, reliable and will cycle all the same shells without fail. It has a gas system but you can fire literally hundreds of rounds through it without cleaning. The exterior is basically corrosion free the barrel is not chrome-lined.

The original SBE is my 3rd choice. I'd look for one that's used and I would not worry about the exterior appearance. Most of those guns have been well used by the former owners and were probably traded for another Benelli, probably the SBEII. They are very simple guns, any part can be replaced and the bores are chrome-lined, so they hold up for years, even with heavy steel shot or tungsten-based use. They are light, very quick and absolutely reliable. All of these guns have 3.5" chambers but this gun will cycle 2.75" shells with 1.125 oz. of shot.

The Mossberg 930. This one is a real sleeper but is a fine gun, cycles all the same shells very reliably without any coddling and I have yet to foul mine enough to make it fail. It's heavier than the other 2 but that just helps it absorb recoil. It's available with a matte black stock with subdued finish on the receiver and barrel. It needs routine care to prevent rust and the barrel is not chrome-lined. It cycles as quickly as the others and comes to the shoulder easily.

I own all 4 of these guns and have put hundreds, make that thousands for the SBE, through them. I've used them for clays, turkeys, still targets, waterfowl and upland birds.

I also own Remington 11-87s and really like them but they are normally considered pretty heavy for upland guns, although I know many people who use them for that purpose.

I would choose a barrel no shorter than 26" for all those guns and I have 28" barrels also for each of them. A 28" barrel will add very little in weight and really aids in the swing of an upland gun, plus it adds patterning ability for turkey loads.

Lastly, whatever you choose, I recommend that you "deep clean" the barrel using the guidelines in the article "Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel" at http://allaboutshooting.com/article_inf ... les_id=282

Best of luck to you and let us know if we can be of any help whatsoever.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

tracebusta39

Postby tracebusta39 » February 7th, 2012, 9:29 pm

All the guns Clark mentioned are great guns, I use a 12 gauge Browning Gold Hunter 3.5 for all my turkey,Pheasant,Quail, waterfowl hunts and it has worked great for me.
The gun I really want in the Benella Vinci but it's priced a little out of my range.

tomhunter21

Postby tomhunter21 » February 17th, 2012, 8:50 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm not all that new to hunting as I'm an avid whitetail hunter, and I'm on the Deer and Deer Hunting forum quite a bit (or used to be haven't quite found the time lately...under buckhunter21).

Really like Remingtons. I looked at an 870 the other day that is made out of synthetic materials. Do you guys have any reviews on them? I'm not a huge Mossberg fan but again I've heard they make some real nice turkey guns. Do you think, if funds are available, that it would be sufficient to buy a turkey gun, just for turkey hunting, and buy another gun just for other birds? I haven't been blown away with any regular bird guns yet, but have seen some nice 'turkey only' guns. Thoughts?

retranger

Postby retranger » February 17th, 2012, 9:33 am

I purchased the mossberg 935 turkey gun the first year they made them and it performed fine. I found out when I went to put a red dot on it that it was not drilled and tapped for such. I contacted customer service and they said that firearm was not meant to be tapped and if I would send it to them they would change out the receiver for the newer model ($70) and also upgrade the trigger assembly. A local gunsmith wanted $75 to drill and tap. Sent it to mossberg and got a new firearm. This has not been my first mossberg firearm. Not saying that the others mentioned above are not good but for the price I have had good luck with my mossbergs. Also have had good service from the company.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Jakesnhens

Postby Jakesnhens » February 17th, 2012, 3:45 pm

If you are looking for a remington take a look at the Bone Collector 870 sold at Dick's sporting goods. I got one and equipped it with a red dot scope and cheap truglo choke tube. I absolutety love the fit of the gun. Obviously I have it set up just for turkey hunting. SInce the late 60s I used a remington 1100 3" mag for turkeys. I loved the low recoil and multiple shot capability of the 1100 which I now have a new barrell (came with 30" full) and screw in choke. It got a little heavy over the years and after some eye surgery I found I was missing too often and had had to use follow up shots. I have an 1100 20ga and browning o/u 20 guage for pheasant and grouse hunting so I didn't carry the 12g much in the field except for geesee n turkeys. My kids have an 870 20ga 3" and it is good for 30 yards or so with 3".

Anyway my Bone Collector is just that. I've taken about 10 irds with it and never needed a second shot. Good think cause I don't remember to pump it since I used the autoloader for 40 years. I only use 3" shells altough it can use 3 1/2" and hevi shot. I use remington 5s lead for about $8 box verses others over $40 box that I patterned and they shoot nearly the same. I took a bird two springs ago over 50yds in a field as I misjudged the distance as I let the bird walk away until I finally decided to take the shot. He did flop a little. Listen to the advice to get one that fits. For me I like the feel, fits me nice, light weight compared to auto loader, shoots good, don't notice the recoil, and it carries nice on my shoulder. Don't equip it with the scope so you can use it for other things. I had an issue with my scope in low light not being able to see a bird one day......not happy camper after geting up at 3:30 - 3 days straight for him. My buddies grew up with 870s 2 3/4" shells and we killed birds, if you watch Will Primos videos I think that may be what he grew up on as well. Good Luck.

tomhunter21

Postby tomhunter21 » February 28th, 2012, 9:42 am

Jakesnhens wrote:If you are looking for a remington take a look at the Bone Collector 870 sold at Dick's sporting goods. I got one and equipped it with a red dot scope and cheap truglo choke tube. I absolutety love the fit of the gun. Obviously I have it set up just for turkey hunting. SInce the late 60s I used a remington 1100 3" mag for turkeys. I loved the low recoil and multiple shot capability of the 1100 which I now have a new barrell (came with 30" full) and screw in choke. It got a little heavy over the years and after some eye surgery I found I was missing too often and had had to use follow up shots. I have an 1100 20ga and browning o/u 20 guage for pheasant and grouse hunting so I didn't carry the 12g much in the field except for geesee n turkeys. My kids have an 870 20ga 3" and it is good for 30 yards or so with 3".

Anyway my Bone Collector is just that. I've taken about 10 irds with it and never needed a second shot. Good think cause I don't remember to pump it since I used the autoloader for 40 years. I only use 3" shells altough it can use 3 1/2" and hevi shot. I use remington 5s lead for about $8 box verses others over $40 box that I patterned and they shoot nearly the same. I took a bird two springs ago over 50yds in a field as I misjudged the distance as I let the bird walk away until I finally decided to take the shot. He did flop a little. Listen to the advice to get one that fits. For me I like the feel, fits me nice, light weight compared to auto loader, shoots good, don't notice the recoil, and it carries nice on my shoulder. Don't equip it with the scope so you can use it for other things. I had an issue with my scope in low light not being able to see a bird one day......not happy camper after geting up at 3:30 - 3 days straight for him. My buddies grew up with 870s 2 3/4" shells and we killed birds, if you watch Will Primos videos I think that may be what he grew up on as well. Good Luck.

Sounds like a great gun, I'll look at it. What's the price tag by chance? Might be easier to have a gun for turkeys and then get another one for other birds.....? Just sounds like the set-ups are overall just different from what everyone has said.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » February 28th, 2012, 10:27 am

I have a Remington 870 Special Field 20 gauge. My son uses it for turkey and Deer. With 3" #6 lead it is about a 35 yard gun. I feel with Hevi and the right tube it could be streched out futher. I use it mostly for rabbit, dove, pheasant. Bought it used for $250 and picked up an barrel w/choke tubes for another $75. I have not had a problem in over 10 years of use.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

tomhunter21

Postby tomhunter21 » February 28th, 2012, 10:42 pm

that sounds like a pretty great, versatile gun steve_in!

does anyone know much about this gun? mossberg 12 gauge turkey thug gun.
Attachments
mossberg thug gun.JPG
mossberg thug gun.JPG (64.09 KiB) Viewed 1399 times

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » February 29th, 2012, 8:11 pm

tomhunter21 wrote:that sounds like a pretty great, versatile gun steve_in!

does anyone know much about this gun? mossberg 12 gauge turkey thug gun.

Yes. It's been exceptionally popular since it was introduced and I have a number of readers who have bought one and are getting ready to use it this spring season.

Here's what I've seen and what my readers have reported. First of all, many are shooting 3" shells, mainly 3" Hevi-13 "Bronze" shells with 2 oz. of either #6 or #7 shot but some are shooting the 3" Magnum Blend shells with great success.

The chokes that most are having their best patterns with in the overbored guns are the SSX http://allaboutshooting.com/product_inf ... ucts_id=75 and the Hevi-13 Turkey Choke http://allaboutshooting.com/product_inf ... cts_id=201

With the standard bore guns the chokes that work best are again the SSX http://allaboutshooting.com/product_inf ... ucts_id=76 and the Hevi-13 Turkey Choke http://allaboutshooting.com/product_inf ... cts_id=199

All report best results after "deep cleaning" those barrels. They're using the guidelines contained in this article http://allaboutshooting.com/article_inf ... les_id=282

Those are good guns and should work very well in the turkey woods.

Best of luck to you this spring.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Next

Return to Shooting