Mossberg 20 gauge Super Bantam Turkey Gun

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
treefarmer

Mossberg 20 gauge Super Bantam Turkey Gun

Postby treefarmer » December 30th, 2011, 4:15 pm

If any of you or your child have used this gun for turkey hunting, what do you recommend for an aftermarket choke? Thanks much. Treefarmer

Duke0002

Re: Mossberg 20 gauge Super Bantam Turkey Gun

Postby Duke0002 » December 30th, 2011, 5:13 pm

Clark Bush (aka allaboutshooting) is a member here. You can shoot him a PM:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=64

A lot of others here will answer, I'm sure.

Here's a link started a couple of weeks ago on this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5595

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » December 30th, 2011, 7:42 pm

treefarmer wrote:If any of you or your child have used this gun for turkey hunting, what do you recommend for an aftermarket choke? Thanks much. Treefarmer

I have one of those guns and have been using it to evaluate some new turkey chokes. If you want a true 40 yard turkey gun and plan to use Hevi-13 shells (what I'd recommend) there are several choices currently on the market that will do a good job.

One real "sleeper" is the Hevi-13 choke. http://allaboutshooting.com/product_inf ... cts_id=211 It's made of 17-4PH stainless, blackened and is a very good choke tube.

A lot of folks also like the Trulock choke http://allaboutshooting.com/product_inf ... cts_id=237 another high quality and reasonably priced turkey choke.

The Pure Gold is another very popular and well made choke for your gun. http://allaboutshooting.com/product_inf ... cts_id=231

If supply ever meets demand and the Swarm turkey choke becomes available again for the Win-Choke/Invector/Accuchoke threaded guns, it's another excellent choice. I hope to have some of those before the 2012 turkey season.

There is one other choke that will also be available in the next few weeks that will be another great choice but I'm still not in a position to discuss it.

All of those chokes are well made, fairly priced and will produce turkey killing patterns with your gun.

Lastly, I've learned over the last decade+ of working with 20 gauge shotguns that they can be much more sensitive than 12s are. I always encourage everyone to start their patterning with a "squeaky clean" bore. I recommend this procedure http://allaboutshooting.com/article_inf ... les_id=282 and then shooting your gun without cleaning between shots. In that way, you'll find out if your gun likes a clean bore or one that is slightly fouled or even very fouled. You'll never know unless you try and it can make a lot of difference.

I understand that I gave you a very long answer to a very short question but we work with 20s so much, I felt it deserved more than a single recommendation.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

ncturkey

Postby ncturkey » January 24th, 2012, 3:40 pm

I would recommend a Indian Creek .555 choke.
Mike

timberjack86

Postby timberjack86 » March 10th, 2012, 4:55 pm

How much does this gun kick? My wife is currently thinking of buying one.

grizzly

Postby grizzly » March 10th, 2012, 6:28 pm

depends on the shells your using timberjack 2 and3/4 not much . 3inch turkey shells a little but not bad .if you add a limbsaver pad hardly at all. it's a great little gun and never had a complant with mine

dawei

Postby dawei » March 15th, 2012, 9:13 pm

While not a Bantam™, I have used a Mossberg® Mdl 500C 20ga w/26" barrel as my Turkey gun since 2000. Last year, using a load of Winchester® Supreme® High Velocity 3" Mag 1200fps 1 5/16oz #4Pb (STH2034), and a Wrights® Swarm™ .555" choke; I shot a big 25lb Merriams Gobbler. I put 19 pellets in his head and neck. He was dead before his beak was in the dirt! A 20ga, with the right choke and load combination; is a great turkey gun!
David
Only two defining forces have ever died for you:
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross + 3Nails = 4Given

Return to Shooting