Red Dot Sights

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
john wayne

Red Dot Sights

Postby john wayne » December 28th, 2011, 8:35 pm

I am wanting to put a red dot sight on my shotgun for turkeys, I am leaning towards the Burris Fastfire. What red dots do any of you use that work well? Any suggestions or advice would be great.

allaboutshooting

Re: Red Dot Sights

Postby allaboutshooting » December 29th, 2011, 11:29 pm

john wayne wrote:I am wanting to put a red dot sight on my shotgun for turkeys, I am leaning towards the Burris Fastfire. What red dots do any of you use that work well? Any suggestions or advice would be great.

First of all, welcome to the T&TH site. This is a good place and I'm sure you'll feel at home here.

The Burris FF and FFII are very good sights. The FFII is the newer version and is waterproof. I have a couple of those and not long ago published a "Product Test" article about the Burris SpeedBead that uses the FFII, you may find it to be helpful. http://allaboutshooting.com/article_inf ... les_id=485

I've also used "dot" type sights from Truglo and found them to be very good as well.

The good news is that most of the newer dot type sights are durable, light weight and reasonably priced. Most hunters and shooters seem to prefer the open type dot sights as opposed to the tube type sights but other than that, it's largely a matter of what you prefer and what fits your pocketbook.

Again, glad to have you here.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

john wayne

Postby john wayne » December 30th, 2011, 12:52 pm

So it says on the Fastfire 2 that it is parallax free from 50 yards. Does that mean up to 50 yards it is parallax free, or after 50 yards it is parallax free?

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » December 30th, 2011, 7:22 pm

john wayne wrote:So it says on the Fastfire 2 that it is parallax free from 50 yards. Does that mean up to 50 yards it is parallax free, or after 50 yards it is parallax free?

After 50 yards it is parallax free. I have not experienced any problems with parallax at any distance however. Open dot sights like the FFII are a joy to use. They are light, don't effect the balance of the gun and don't interfere with peripheral vision like a conventional scope. My one complaint has always been the mount and that's why I prefer the SpeedBead mount for that sight.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Big10Inch

Postby Big10Inch » January 8th, 2012, 6:45 pm

I purchased a Bushnell® Trophy TRS-25 Red-Dot Sight from a local vendor near home (in Canada) and I paid $200 about two years ago. Right now you can get the same scope at Cabelas for $110 which kinda stings. (Cabelas can't export scopes to our foreign land.) I saw it there for $85 a month ago.

Originally, the scope was purchased for the gfs Rem 870 because she couldn't catch on to open sites and we had a guided hunt coming up quickly. She is new to hunting, but she nailed her first tom this past spring at 30 yards in her second season of hunting.

The scope is very small, light weight and the dot is crisp and small. I have done a bit of patterning with the gun/scope and I have put 50 rounds through it with no ill effects. The scope is very simple, just turn the dial from off to power levels 1 through 9. I left the scope on medium power for a week and I still had power. I have used the same battery for two years, but I will change it for this upcoming season. It uses a common button style battery (don't recall the #) which I also have in my car key-that's handy!

I use her gun/scope when she isn't behind the trigger and I love it. Come to think of it, I haven't shot a turkey with my Browning Auto 5 yet...maybe this year.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 23rd, 2012, 9:48 am

I added a Burris Speed Bead to my SBE II yesterday. It is really light and doesn't throw the balance of the gun off like a couple other red dots scopes I tried do. I really like that the scope adjusts to the ambient light to regulate the intensity of the light in the dot. With one of my old red dots it had 10 different settings and when hunting where bright sun meets the shade, the dot would sometimes vanish on the target going from dark to bright.

I won't get to go shoot until next week. Bummer. That will give me time over the weekend to make up a bunch more targets.

BTW, I got mine Speed Bead from Optics Planet, who had a good price and offers free shipping on anything over $30. They also sent along a coupon for an additional $15 off that's good until 5-20-2012. I'd be happy to pass along the code if anybody's interested. Please pm me if you want it.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

air leak

Postby air leak » March 23rd, 2012, 10:38 am

Several years ago, I put a Red Dot on my 870, for deer season. With my rifled barrel, it is very accurate.

That next spring turkey season, I put on my 28 inch barrel, and hit the woods.

A couple of things..in Nov, the woods are full of dull browns, grays and greens. The dot shows up well. In spring, with the reborn colors and bright sunlight, not so much. I had a difficult time seeing the dot. I stayed with it for a couple of hunts.

But the most important thing about a Red Dot, IMHO, is to make sure that you TURN IT ON!! LOL!

I found out the hard way. After that, I removed it during turkey season, and put it on for deer season.

retranger

Postby retranger » March 23rd, 2012, 11:54 am

I have the truglo turkey buster and have used it for a couple years on my mossberg 935 and it works well for me. You have your choice of a red or green dot and can adjust the brightness, that is real nice feature. Depending on what back ground you have you can change the color and intensity of the dot. It also has a ring around the dot. (represents a 24" circle at 30 yards) Got it from Cabelas for around $80.00.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Jakesnhens

Postby Jakesnhens » March 25th, 2012, 3:08 pm

I have the truglo turkey scope with center dot and circle. It as performed very well, easily pick up target, like the green orange option. It has a sun shield as well. Can not get light low enough in low light as it will block view until it get more light out. Also had a problem in the rain when used with sun shield and no covers as I couldn't clean/defog so be sure to keep covers on and shield off.

Return to Shooting