New 20 Gauge Turkey Chokes

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
allaboutshooting

New 20 Gauge Turkey Chokes

Postby allaboutshooting » December 15th, 2011, 11:27 am

For the past year or so, I have been working with 3 companies that plan to introduce new 20 gauge turkey chokes to the market. One of those companies likely will not follow through on that but the other 2 are ready for introductions very soon.

It's so encouraging to see people who are still working to improve the performance of our guns. I've worked with 20s for some time now and I'm especially very pleased to see the development of these new chokes.

I'll report on them as soon as that's allowed and let you know what I've learned from shooting them.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Frank

Re: New 20 Gauge Turkey Chokes

Postby Frank » December 22nd, 2011, 7:25 pm

Santa is likely going to deliver a 870 compact jr. 20 gauge to my son for christmas. The gun has an 18-3/4" barrel and we will want to install an extended turkey choke tube on it for spring gobbler hunting. I would like to know if anyone has experience with this gun and a proven load and choke combination.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » December 22nd, 2011, 10:03 pm

Welcome to the forum Frank. I have a youth 870 also for my son and right now I have a truglow choke and have tried winchester supreme #5, #6 and have also tried federals #5 & #6. So far, both of them pattern the same at about 25 to 30 yards max. Im still planning to try out some new chokes to see if I can get a little more distance. I hope this info might help you some.
Is it turkey season yet?

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » December 23rd, 2011, 10:32 am

Welcome aboard, Frank. Santa will be mighty popular with that young man!

On this forum you'll get great advice on chokes and anything turkey!

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » December 23rd, 2011, 1:57 pm

Frank wrote:Santa is likely going to deliver a 870 compact jr. 20 gauge to my son for christmas. The gun has an 18-3/4" barrel and we will want to install an extended turkey choke tube on it for spring gobbler hunting. I would like to know if anyone has experience with this gun and a proven load and choke combination.

Hey Frank,

Welcome to T&TH. I know you'll like it here. Lots of good folks who'll be as helpful as possible. It's a friendly place.

We have both 870 and 11-87 compact guns. Doris usually uses the 11-87 but is an 870 shooter most other times. Over the last 11 years especially, we've really concentrated on 20 gauge shotguns, seeing what works to maximize their performance.

We developed the "Swarm" turkey choke and introduced it at the 2006 NWTF National Convention & Sport Show after that design set a World Record at the World Championship Still Target Shoot in October of 2005. It was designed strictly as a hunting choke but the record was nice as well. Doris used that choke to set a Women's World Record in 2006 and win her first World Championship in 2007. It's one I'd recommend.

We also have great results with the SSX 20 Gauge Turkey Choke. It was designed by Roger Burrell and while the internal geometry is quite different from the Swarm, results are pretty much identical in Rem-Choke guns. Doris has won 2 additional World Championships using the SSX.

I can not find any shell that is more consistent than the Hevi-13 shotshells from Environ-Metal. Their 3" shells with 1.25 oz. of #6 or #7 shot, through either of those chokes will make your son's gun a true 40 yard turkey gun.

Just so you know, we shoot those chokes because they deliver hunting patterns, a good 10" core pattern and a fringe 20" that allows for some turkey head movement. They work at 20 yards and at 40 yards.

Short barreled guns can present some challenges but with either of those chokes and the Hevi-13 shells, he'll be ready to head to the range and then the turkey woods.

Lastly, I'd recommend that before that gun is ever fired, you "deep clean" the bore. Guns come from the factory with dirty barrels and if you shoot it prior to that cleaning, you just bake-in the gunk and make it harder to clean later on and may never see the maximum performance from your gun.

I hope that helps some and again, welcome to the site.

Thanks,
Clark

Frank

Postby Frank » December 23rd, 2011, 3:53 pm

Thanks for the information thus far. I have subscribed to Turkey and Turkey Hunting magazine for about 8 years now and typically read anything turkey related that I can get my hands on, but will have to admit that I am not familiar with the "SWARM" choke tube. Can you tell me who manufactures the tube?

Also, you mentioned a deep clean on the gun. Is there a specific method recommended beyond standard cleaning?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Frank

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » December 23rd, 2011, 5:07 pm

Frank wrote:Thanks for the information thus far. I have subscribed to Turkey and Turkey Hunting magazine for about 8 years now and typically read anything turkey related that I can get my hands on, but will have to admit that I am not familiar with the "SWARM" choke tube. Can you tell me who manufactures the tube?

Also, you mentioned a deep clean on the gun. Is there a specific method recommended beyond standard cleaning?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Frank

Hey Frank,

Here's a link to the "Deep Cleaning" process http://allaboutshooting.com/article_inf ... les_id=282
and you can read about the Swarm Turkey Choke here http://allaboutshooting.com/product_inf ... ucts_id=64

You can also take a look at the SSX 20 Gauge Turkey Choke at that site as well.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Clark

Return to Shooting