crossbow

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
arrowsonly

crossbow

Postby arrowsonly » December 4th, 2011, 1:26 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but it's what I now shoot. I shoot compound bow for 35 years & stick bow before that; work, play & genitics have my shoulers worn out period. Even with 80% let off the motion of raising my bow & drawing became to painfull, not so much the pain but the interuption of concentration that would occur as I raised my bow to draw.
Now here I sit with a nice Ten Point pro-elite cross bow 185 lb draw @ 350 fps, it's like shooting a rifle :( that's why I shot a bow in the first place. I will say that I do like the lighted scope, I might go back to head shoots ?

Any body else shoot a cross bow ?
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

Cut N Run

Re: crossbow

Postby Cut N Run » December 12th, 2011, 11:17 pm

A few permanent injuries from a bad car wreck in April of 2007 forced me to switch from shooting compound & recurve bows to hunting with a crossbow. Mine is a Parker Hurricane, 175 pound draw. I really love how accurate it is and that it has a scope. I have killed 6 deer with it so far, but have yet to hunt turkeys with it. I plan to break it in on gobblers this coming Spring.

What I don't like about it is that I can't cock it by hand and have to use one of the winch deals to cock it. I missed a doe with it in early October when the arrow deflected on an unseen limb. She was so close that I couldn't recock it without her hearing it and running off. I just had to sit and watch her walk off. With my compound or recurve bow, I would have easily smoked her with a follow up shot. It is also heavier and more bulky than any vertical bow. Don't get me wrong though, I'm thrilled to be back in the early Fall deer woods again. I thought the archery hunting portion of my life was over until I got a medical permit to use a crossbow.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

allaboutshooting

Re: crossbow

Postby allaboutshooting » December 15th, 2011, 11:22 am

arrowsonly wrote:I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but it's what I now shoot. I shoot compound bow for 35 years & stick bow before that; work, play & genitics have my shoulers worn out period. Even with 80% let off the motion of raising my bow & drawing became to painfull, not so much the pain but the interuption of concentration that would occur as I raised my bow to draw.
Now here I sit with a nice Ten Point pro-elite cross bow 185 lb draw @ 350 fps, it's like shooting a rifle :( that's why I shot a bow in the first place. I will say that I do like the lighted scope, I might go back to head shoots ?

Any body else shoot a cross bow ?

Crossbows have become a "hot topic" here in Illinois in the last few years since some rule changes were made that allow any hunter 62 or over to legally use one. I have several friends who have switched and just spoke with another who plans to make the move next season.

I have not shot a crossbow in more than 10 years and then, my experience was very limited. I know they have improved greatly in that time period but have no first hand experience.

I still have my "old technology" PSE Fire Flight compound bow but have not taken that to the woods in quite a while. I really used to enjoy shooting it and tried to put a couple of arrows down range each afternoon, weather permitting. Like so many others it seems, an injury prevented me from shooting it for a time and I just never picked it back up after that.

I feel that anything that will keep us in the woods hunting, crossbows included, are very good things.

Best of luck with yours.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Return to Shooting