Benelli Crio barrels/ chokes

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Cut N Run

Benelli Crio barrels/ chokes

Postby Cut N Run » April 12th, 2008, 2:56 pm

I recently won a Benelli SBE II in a NWTF drawing that has a crio barrel and chokes.  I sold my old SBE I back to the guy I bought it from and like the way the new one performs.  Because the place I hunt is pretty tight cover and shooting distances are often very close, I went with the factory full choke (I killed a turkey with it this morning @ 13 yards).  My question is; Since part of this property was cut over last fall, I now have some areas that offer longer shots. I own several choke tubes that went in my old SBE I that the guy who bought it did not want (he is a Kick's guy).  Can I use those tubes in the crio barrel, or should I only go with crio tubes designed for that barrel?  I doubt it would make much difference, but if it can give me an edge, I want to get it. I also don't want to damage the threads in the barrel (is that possible?).  I appreciate any help.

Jim

allaboutshooting

RE: Benelli Crio barrels/ chokes

Postby allaboutshooting » April 12th, 2008, 7:42 pm

Hey Jim,

Congratulations! That's quite a prize to win. I really like those Benelli shotguns. I've owned them since I bought my first SBE in 1991 and never had one fail me.

Your SBE used the "Mobil" choke system but your SBE II uses the "Crio" choke system. The only difference is in the placement of the threads. You can use the "Crio" chokes in the SBE but unfortunately, you can't use the "Mobil" chokes in the SBE II. The threads are the same pitch, they're just in a different position on the chokes.

What kinds of chokes did you use with your SBE? There are lots of after-market turkey chokes for your SBE II available.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 14th, 2008, 4:04 am

I had 3 different chokes that I used with my SBE I according to the shot size that I wanted to use. I had a Hastings .645 that did well with 6s but would not 5s or 4s well at all. I have another choke (I don't know the manufacturer, it came with the gun I bought used) marked X-Full Turkey without the constriction stamped on (sorry I don't have a micrometer). It did shoot 5s fairly well.  I should also say that I did prefer to hunt with Winchester 3 inch 1 & 3/4 oz. shells.  I now hunt with Federal 3 inch no. 6s with 2 oz. of shot. The best performing all around choke was a TruGlo that my brother gave me as a birthday present (I'm amazed he even knew what kind of shotgun I use, as he dosen't hunt). I didn't think it would do all that well, but it surprised me and I probably used it to kill more Turkeys than the rest of 'em combined.  I was going to go with a high-end choke, but the TruGlo did the job. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Go figure.

Thanks very much for the help on the Crio choke question. Looks like I'll be choke shopping soon. Any suggestions?  It also appears like I will be looking for a home for those chokes that won't fit in my new shotgun.

Jim

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » April 14th, 2008, 10:42 am

Hey Jim,

I agree with you about not "tinkering" with what works. After years of testing turkey chokes, I've found that price does not always dictate quality or performance.

One excellent choice for the SBE II is the Wright's Turkey Choke. It's a limited production item but is an excellent choke. It has a long parallel section and comes with 3 different parallel sections. The #1 is .670 and is great with the Federal Flitecontrol Wad Shells. The #2 is .660 and is the most "forgiving" of the chokes on the market. You can use a variety of shells and get good performance with it. The #3 is .650 and is best with the Winchester HV shells, the Winchester XRHD shells and the Remington Wingmaster HD shells, all with #6 shot.

You can see those chokes at http://www.allaboutshooting.com

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 15th, 2008, 2:49 am

Hey Clark,

Thanks for the input. I just ordered a Wright's choke from your website.  Hopefully, it will get here in time for me to get some range time and I can take it into the woods this weekend.  If I am forced to, the factory full choke works well enough if I get the bird close.  I'm looking forward to getting to use it and making this Benelli as can't miss as my old one.

Regards,
Jim 

Return to Shooting