Finished, at last!

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
allaboutshooting

Finished, at last!

Postby allaboutshooting » June 29th, 2008, 4:25 am

I just finished an exhaustive test of all the most common lead and tungsten-based 20 gauge shotshells. It took several months, due to all the odd weather that we've had but I think that there was an actual benefit to that. I was able to fire an equal number of shells at each session with various weather conditions, just like we encounter in turkey hunting.

This is a study strictly for hunting purposes so I used an area that's comparable to a 20" circle, an area that I consider to be a good test for a hunting load. I did look at patterns and considered core density and overall density but concentrated mainly on the number of "hits" in the area. All shots were at 40 yards.

I tested a variety of choke exit diameters initially but after examining the results, reduced the test examples to 3 sizes. I did this for 2 reasons. The first was the effectiveness or lack thereof of the choke and the second was the number of patterns needed to be shot for the study to be meaningful and the number of targets that would add to the study, without adding much in the way of useful information.

I also limited my study to common commercial loads in #5 or #6 shot. I'd previously run tests at the request of Tungsten Super Shot with their #7 and #8 shot loads. I did not test any Nitro shells.

I'm putting the finishing touches on the article, reviewing all my tabulations to make sure I have no errors, and will publish it soon. I hope you will find it at least interesting and hopefully helpful.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

MAK

RE: Finished, at last!

Postby MAK » June 30th, 2008, 4:21 am

My next gun will be a 20 ga - that is if I can't get the single shot I started with to pattern. I'd like to 'finish up' with the gun that got me hooked on hooks!

Looking forward to reading your findings.
MAK

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » July 3rd, 2008, 5:15 pm

Clark, are the new composite shot safe for damascus barrels?  I have an original 10 bore muzzle loader and I need something to replace Bismoth for waterfowl.  It is jug choked.  Thank you, Steve
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » July 5th, 2008, 5:16 pm

Hey Steve,

The Pinnacle Ammunition Company (1.888.702.7660) manufacturers bismuth shotshells. They are located in St. Louis, MO and might be a source of bismuth shot for you.

Thanks,
Clark

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » July 7th, 2008, 5:53 pm

Thank you Clark.  I will give them a try.  10 lbs would be a lifetime supply for me.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » July 13th, 2008, 3:44 am

It has taken me just a bit longer than I thought to combine and "proof read" all of the information that I  compiled over the last several months.

I anticipate having this project completed in just a few days. I apologize for the delay.

Thanks,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » July 13th, 2008, 4:39 pm

I've finally finished the article on the tests of 20 gauge shotshells and 20 gauge turkey chokes. It's just too long to post here. You can read it at http://www.allaboutshooting.com

The article is entitled "20 Gauge Shotshell and Turkey Choke Test", a pretty straight-forward title.

I hope you find it helpful.

Thanks,
Clark

Return to Shooting