turkey shotgun choice

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
mark hay

RE: turkey shotgun choice

Postby mark hay » October 22nd, 2008, 2:43 pm

congratulations on that 35 yd. bird and attaboy on the gun modifcations . trial and error is what it takes sometimes , for some people. went through five before i found the gun for me. IF IT WORKS ,DON'T FIX IT
               LATER       ''ostt''

Yelp softly

RE: turkey shotgun choice

Postby Yelp softly » October 22nd, 2008, 7:05 pm

I also vote for the Mossberg 835.  It is definitely in that price range (with camo finish) and the factory choke that came with mine shot great with #4's.  The mossberg barrels are slightly larger diameter than other brands so they handle the larger shot sizes a little better with the right choke.  I bought one brand new for $323 back in 1999 and it came with the fiber optic sights.  I even talked to gun store owner into throwing in a sling for free.  I think they are still about that price, but the camo finish on today's guns are way better than the old Woodland camo mine has.  It looks like it was spray painted by a 10 year old.

I've since upgraded to a Benelli M1, but I can't bring myself to get rid of the Mossberg.  If anything should ever happen to that high priced Benelli, it's nice to know that I have Ol' Reliable in the gun safe.

Previous

Return to Shooting