Overuse Injuries

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
allaboutshooting

Overuse Injuries

Postby allaboutshooting » November 14th, 2008, 6:09 am

I know that many of us spend a good bit of time patterning our turkey guns. That subjects us to the forces of recoil and all of its subtle and not so subtle effects.

I recently spent several weeks in physical therapy due to the effects of torque on my back from shooting so many full-power turkey shotshells.

Many of you are familiar with Patrick Flanigan, exhibition shooter for Winchester. What very few people know is that he recently experienced what could have been a career ending injury. For the first time, he discussed that injury with me and shared some advice that could be helpful to all shooters in helping us prevent similar problems.

I believe that to be important enough to encourage each of you to read his comments at: http://allaboutshooting.com/article_inf ... les_id=250

Many of us who have or still participate in other sports would not think of doing so without warming up and stretching but we routinely go hunting or shooting without even considering doing that.

I hope that Patrick's comments will encourage you to treat the hunting and shooting sports like any other and also to pass that along to new shooters of all ages.

It's just harder to get rid of pain that it is to prevent it.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

hoosierhunter

RE: Overuse Injuries

Postby hoosierhunter » November 14th, 2008, 7:02 am

Good call Clark, and that visit with Patrick was quite informative, I appreciate your bringing that to us and I appreciate Patricks time in what he relayed to us about our pyhsical fitness. As a golfer and archer-boyer, I know the importance of being limber and fully stretched before asking cold muscle to do something it's not ready for. I have a rotator cuff that acts up if I don't stretch it before a physical exercise, such as climbing into a treestand or shooting a bow, or swinging a club, yet I really had'nt considered the ramifications of not being muscle ready when it came to shooting sports, and I really appreciate the reminder cause at 50 I don't recover very quick anymore. Thanks again.

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE!
                                                                                    L.K.LESLIE
                                                                   HOOSIER HUNTER CUSTOM CALLS
                                                                    MOSSY OAK PRO STAFF 

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » November 14th, 2008, 7:11 am

nice interveiw clark,  & by the way i tried the "deep clean"on the ol'mossberg last night ill post my opinion on it L8R

ken

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » November 14th, 2008, 6:06 pm

Hey Larry,

Thank you for the comments. I agree wholeheartedly with the importance of warming up and stretching. Most of us just have never thought about that. When my problems surfaced that was the first thing my doctor, also a shooter, asked me. I had to admit that I did not have any regular warm up routine prior to shooting. After several weeks of PT, I now have one!

Thanks,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » November 14th, 2008, 6:06 pm

Hey Ken,

Thank you for the positive comments. Patrick is just a great guy and I wish him a full recovery. It took some real courage on his part to "go public" with that information and I appreciated his decision to allow http://www.allaboutshooting.com to be the first to disclose that information.

I'll be interested to hear how your gun performs after your "deep cleaning". It's really changed the performance of many barrel/choke/shotshell combinations over the years.

Thanks again,
Clark

Return to Shooting