Patternmaster Choke Tubes

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?

Patternmaster Choke Tubes

Postby Guest » May 28th, 2008, 7:22 am

Does anyone have any experience with Patternmaster choke tubes in a Remington 12ga. for Turkey hunting applications?

allaboutshooting

RE: Patternmaster Choke Tubes

Postby allaboutshooting » May 28th, 2008, 3:26 pm

Hey Brad,

Patternmaster is the top selling waterfowl choke in this flyway, by far. I don't know of anyone who has used it in the turkey woods however and I've never shot one for either waterfowl or turkeys.

It's a very interesting design, no conical section, just a parallel section with studs to catch/slow the wad. The idea of wad catchers in chokes has been around for a long time and different designs to accomplish that have been around as long but the Patternmaster idea is, at least in my experience, unique in the lack of a conical section and the design of the studs.

There are some reviews at http://www.cabelas.com/reviews-cdn/8815 ... iews.shtml
that you might find of interest.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » November 12th, 2008, 4:09 am

hey clark,it seems like if i remember correctly,that my last years fall turkey & turkey hunting mag reveiwed a choke tube from ALL ABOUT SHOOTING is this correct? (yes) what was the name of it ? & what other turkey chokes are yours?i presently shoot a kicks but...

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » November 12th, 2008, 9:58 am

Hey Ken,

Your memory is correct. In the "2008 Turkey Hunter's Equipment Guide" published by Turkey & Turkey Hunting magazine, the "Hybrid Turkey Choke" was featured and discussed. It has been previously reviewed as well.

The Hybrid Turkey Choke was developed to allow a hunter to use whatever shotshells were available to him/her or those that were priced most reasonably, without having to worry about the ability of the choke to produce good hunting patterns. You can read more about it at http://allaboutshooting.com/product_inf ... ucts_id=73 in addition to the information contained in the 2008 Turkey Hunter's Equipment Guide.

I have participated in the development and design of several turkey chokes, including the Hybrid and the Swarm 20 Gauge Turkey Choke.

My good friend Roger Burrell designed the Strut-Stopper Xtreme series of turkey chokes that I believe to be some of the finest designs on the market.

I've also worked with Stu Wright for the past 12 years and consulted with him in his designs of some excellent turkey chokes for a number of different shotguns. His chokes are limited production items and each choke number is designed for a particular barrel length and shotshell. That makes them a bit unique in the marketplace. Stu is best know for his championship competiton chokes and work with Model 12 Winchester and O/U trap guns.

You can learn more about these and other chokes at http://www.allaboutshooting.com

Thanks,
Clark

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » November 12th, 2008, 12:32 pm

i thought so,do you/yall make a turkey specific choke @ all about shooting or do you/yall only do the testing for other companies?with yall i meen you & doris of course

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » November 12th, 2008, 3:17 pm

Hey Ken,

We do testing only, no manufacturing.

Thanks,
Clark

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » November 13th, 2008, 5:04 am

in that case what are your favorites?i know you probably cant anwer this one due to your occupation, but if you had to choose one choke manufacturer who would it be?

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » November 13th, 2008, 5:29 am

Hey Ken,

As a general rule, I've found that non-ported chokes pattern better than ported ones. (That can be tricky. Some chokes that appear to be ported, are not.)

I've found that the "internal geometry" is much more important than exit diameter, many times incorrectly referred to as "constriction".

Price does not dictate quality. There are relatively inexpensive choke tubes that work as well or better than some that cost a multiple of their price.

I've learned that in order to really know how your gun/barrel/choke/shotshell pattern you must start with a "squeaky-clean" barrel and choke and not clean between shots.

Deep cleaning a barrel and choke are absolutely necessary at least one time.

I encourage folks to try and use whatever they have. Odds are that it will work well when combined with the proper shell and shot size.

Thanks,
Clark

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » November 13th, 2008, 5:59 am

thanks clark,you are a world of help & a very knowledgeable guy,thanks for hangin' out around this site

ken

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » November 17th, 2008, 8:52 am

Hey Ken,

I appreciate the kind words. That's really what caused me to start http://www.allaboutshooting.com as an effort to be of help to shooters and hunters. I envisioned it as a clearing house for information and later created "The Shooting System" as a no obligation, free service to help.

In the last few years I've begun to offer some of the products that I've tested and found to work well to my readers. That started because some folks in different parts of the country could not find a ready source for many items.

I began recommending the SSX chokes in 2005 and at that time, there were no major retailers or even small retailers who had them for sale. That's the only reason I put them on the site. The same was true for the Wright's brand of chokes. It's a great little company with limited production that's much more widely known in the trap shooting world. The list goes on and on.

Thanks again,
Clark

Return to Shooting