Federal heavy shot

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
amb640@comcast.net

Federal heavy shot

Postby amb640@comcast.net » October 15th, 2008, 12:36 pm

After reading Jim's article on heavey shot I thought I'd share (at Jim's invite) that I have had great experiences with it and won't hunt with anything else. I have used 5's and 6's and both work well. I have killed three birds in fields at over 50 yards one of which ranged after the fact at 60 yards. Shoooting the 60 yard bird was a judgement mistake on my part but seeing the bird went down it worked out. I ranged the shooting spot with a laser and was amazed. I knew from the long run to the bird is was further than I thought. I am greatly aided by using a Tasco Pro-Point red dot sight which I consider to be the top turkey hunting tool I have. It is mounted on a Remington 870 with a Remington heavy-weight turkey choke tube. This combo shoots just about anything I have tried well. Jim if you see this I hope you follow the article up with some tests in balistic jell.

allaboutshooting

RE: Federal heavy shot

Postby allaboutshooting » October 18th, 2008, 1:27 pm

Hey Duane,

I too thought that Jim did a great job on that article! The Heavyweight shot is "good stuff", very heavy, well formed and certainly deadly at all reasonable/ethical distances.

I think Jim also did an excellent job of expressing his concern about the use of #7 shot. It's just so easy to misjudge distances and to take a shot that is much longer than we think. The #5's and #6's, like you used are more forgiving, if we misjudge the distance a bit.

I'm really interested in the choke tube that you use with the Heavyweight shot and Flitecontrol Wad shells. Can you tell us a little more about it? Exit diameter, ports, etc.?

I've had those shells perform exceptionally well, with the correct choke tube and am always interested in hearing from folks who've used something that works well.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

archer

Postby archer » October 29th, 2008, 4:33 pm

I've killed 4 toms with Federal Heavyweight #7, at distances 30-45 yards.  Every kill was instant, not one bird even wiggled after being hit!  It is the only shot that has performed so well for me, the bird always flap around with other shot.  This shot with a density of 15 g/cc just seems to hit harder and penetrate better.  The gun is a Remington 1100, choke extended tube .670, no ports.  Ported tubes were very poor for me even though they work well with lead and Winchester Xtended Range.  Hope this helps.

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » October 30th, 2008, 5:31 am

Hi Clark, hope you and lois are feelin better. Gotta question. Doesn't weight x mass x velocity= harder hits and deeper penetration?

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE!
                                                                                L.K.LESLIE

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » October 31st, 2008, 7:22 am

Hey L.K.,

Thanks for the good wishes. Unfortunately, Doris and I are still fighting the battle! I'm getting to know the staff at my doctor's office way too well. I still can't hear a thing out of my right ear and antibiotics and decongestants haven't helped so far.

Your equation looks correct to me. I know some folks who are loading TSS at 18 gr/cc in conventional wads and getting great patterns with real downrange killing power.

"Archer", in my experience is right on the money in all respects. He's using a .670 non-ported choke tube and shooting turkeys at very reasonable ranges.

The real fun of this sport is calling them into range and being able to watch them as they come in. All of the "hard" shot does a great job of effecting quick kills as long as we do our part.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

archer

Postby archer » November 26th, 2008, 9:07 am

With the results I've had with the Heavywieght #7 I would not hesitate to stoot at 50-55 yards.  I've never had birds killed so decisively.
     However, being a techie I tried the new TSS #8 this past season.  I was hesitant to try the #8's but did so at their suggestion (great people to work with).  Will amazing things never end with the new shot?  The #8 killed cleanly out to 50 yards!  Even broke bones at that range!  The key seems to be the hardness and perfect shape of each pellet.  Every pellet I checked miched out exactly.  Recovered pellets, even one removed from bone, were as round and shiny as new, unfired ones.  Apparently with the high density (18g/cc) and small diameter the #8 retains more energy and the small diameter allows great penetration.
     What's more this is from a 2 3/4", 1 1/4 oz, low velocity (1250 fps) load, the only one available from TSS.  A pleasure to shoot recoil wise.
     One thing, the TSS killed birds did flop a little unlike those taken with the Federal Heavyweight.

Return to Shooting