turkey gun

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
benhanson

turkey gun

Postby benhanson » December 19th, 2008, 12:26 pm

this is my 1st year turkey hunting and i have a singleshot 3 in. 20 gauge H&R Topper Jr. with a mod. choke i am wondering if it is enough to kill a turkey. and if so what loads.

silvestris

RE: turkey gun

Postby silvestris » December 19th, 2008, 4:10 pm

That could be all the gun you ever need with one exception.  I would go for a choke tube which delivers an evenly distributed basketball sized pattern at thirty yards and limit my shots to that distance.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » December 19th, 2008, 5:28 pm

My son used the same gun until he out grew it.  We tried 3" 1-1/4 oz #6s in it.  I think I would limit my shots to 30 yards.  Others have probably used that gun as it is very popular.  Someone may have a load that works better.  Just remember the turkey was almost wiped out with muzzle loading shotguns with no chokes.  Good luck and be paticent.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » December 19th, 2008, 8:04 pm

Hey Ben,

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of turkey hunting. One of the most beneficial things that you can do is take your gun to the patterning board and see how it shoots. That will tell you if it will work for you hunting turkeys.

I'd suggest that when it gets a little warmer, you find some big paper or cardboard (36"x36") put a mark in the center of it, back off a real 30 yards and shoot at it from a rest. Look at the pattern and see where it hits, in relationship to where you aimed and see how  many pellets hit the mark and within 10" of your aim point.

The best loads that I've found for 20 gauge shotguns are the 3" Hevi-13 shells with 1.25 oz. of #6 shot and the 3" Winchester Xtended Range Hi-Density shells with 1.125 oz. of #5 shot.

As has been suggested, you may need a tighter choke tube but you'll only know after you try what you have.

If I can be of any help, please don't hesitate to let me know and I'll do all that I can to be of help.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

benhanson

Postby benhanson » December 20th, 2008, 3:53 am

the gun does not have screw in chokes

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » December 20th, 2008, 7:20 am

Hey Ben,

Since your gun does not have screw-in chokes, you'll just need to pattern it and see how it does. That will probably make the selection of shotshells a bit more more important.

Over the years, very many turkeys have been killed with guns that were not specifically "turkey guns" and did not have screw-in chokes. All that means is that you'll need to know how your gun shoots and then take shots that are within that range.

One final recommendation is that prior to patterning your gun, you really clean that barrel very well. I usually refer to that as "deep cleaning". Many barrels have never had a very thorough cleaning and may have built-up plastic, powder and even residue that's left when the barrel was manufactured. I've seen some very dramatic changes in performance after a barrel has been "deep cleaned". I wrote an article outlining the procedure that has helped many shooters and you can read it at:

http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=242

I'll be interested to hear how your gun patterns and again, if I can be of any help, just let me know.

Thanks,
Clark

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » December 20th, 2008, 7:32 am

Ben this gun will work with the loads I mentioned, you will just have to have the gobbler in closer.  Sometimes that is hard to do but that is hunting.  Most archey shots are much closer so it is doable.  Do not be discouraged that it is not the latest, greatest turkey gun you see on the videos.  Many of us started with a single shot.
Clark, this is the basic NEF single shot.  It has a shorter barrel and stock for youths.  Too bad they don't offer it with screw-in chokes but that would increase the cost.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » December 20th, 2008, 8:39 am

Hey Steve,

I have an H&R Model 158 Topper 20 gauge with a 2.75" chamber and fixed full choke.

I bought that gun sometime in the late 1960's. The very first time I shot it, I brought down a fat gray squirrel. It was my companion for many years as I roamed over the hills of central Kentucky. I liked it because it was light, very quick and just seemed to shoot where I looked.

I just pulled that gun out to take a look at it and it brought back many memories.

I'd take it to the turkey woods any day.

Many times we put too much emphasis on equipment and not enough on woodsmanship. It's the thrill of calling that bird in close that really does it for me, not a 40 yard shot.

Thanks,
Clark

mark hay

Postby mark hay » December 21st, 2008, 12:06 am

YES SIR CLARK TOU ARE SINGIN' MY SONG.
my first gun is the same make and model . got for it for christmas in '67. my first kill was a big fox squirrel, though i had already missed a wheelbarrow load of fat quail.
now that little 20 has a scope on it and it's my designated deer gun, and today is the last day of season until after christmas when it's back to ''SMOKE N FIRE''.     90 GR. OF 3F ; I/8 INCH OF HORNETS NEST; ALL BEHIND A PATCHED ROUND BALL.
think i kinda got off the subject,,,,,,,,,KEEP SINGIN' OL'BOY

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » December 21st, 2008, 3:45 am

Hey Mark

I understand your smokepole load with the exception of the Hornet Nest part?
Please explain.

Turkeybuster

Next

Return to Shooting