new gun and barrel length help

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
mmc48

new gun and barrel length help

Postby mmc48 » December 25th, 2008, 2:41 pm

Well I've decided to purchase a dedicated turkey gun for this upcoming spring. I'm a huge Mossberg fan, and I have decided to go with the 835 or the 535 turkey series, particularly because of the good prices. Would you guys suggest one over the other? I would like the ability to shoot 3.5" and 3" shells, so I think both will work with that. Both series also have models with thumb-holes, which I'm interested in also for better handling endurance. I'm also looking at either the 20", 22" (535 only). and 24" barrel lengths. Is the 20" too short? This gun will also double as a home-defense gun. I'm a graduating college student, so it will be in my apartment after I graduate. I'm just torn on the barrel length. 20" would be great for home-defense, but I also want a good-shooting gun up to 50 yards are so in the field also. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks.

allaboutshooting

RE: new gun and barrel length help

Postby allaboutshooting » December 25th, 2008, 4:19 pm

Hey Matthew,

First of all welcome to the T&TH forum. I know you'll enjoy it here. There are so many good folks who are very helpful.

Mossberg can give you a lot of gun for the money. I am not a big fan of 3.5" guns and only recommend them to folks who intend to shoot steel shot for waterfowl and want/need the extra capacity of those shells for the larger steel shot. If that is the case, you'll also need a longer barrel, 28" is best in my experience, to get a full burn with the slower burning powders used in steel shot loads.

Whether you choose the 835 or the 535, I'd sure recommend that you consider a longer barrel than either the 20" or 24" that you've mentioned. While it's certainly possible for a barrel of that length to pattern very well (and no doubt someone will post a reply who has one that does) your odds are greatly increased with a somewhat longer barrel, at least 26".

I've had hundreds of folks who have contacted me through my site about poor patterns with very short barrels. Since Mossberg sells so many shotguns and many (turkey models) in the last few years have been offered with short barrels, most of these complaints have been about them.

I should add that some of the best patterns I've ever seen have been from Mossberg 835/935 shotguns with 28" barrels. The shorter ones are a real challenge.

After several years of working with 835/935 shooters, I also wrote an article specifically for those guns and you can read it at http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=242 it's certainly not rocket science but it has helped literally hundreds of shooters (not just Mossberg) get better performance from their guns.

I think you'll find that there is very little difference in maneuverability with any of the barrel lengths and the extra length will help with patterns and also help just a bit with recoil reduction and give you less muzzle whip.

I'd also recommend that you consider shooting 3" turkey shells in your gun, regardless of the model. Generally they pattern better, they cost less and they deliver much less recoil.

Lastly, in my experience the 835/935 guns get the best performance with a turkey choke with a .670 exit diameter. I use and recommend the SSX with that gun. I also shoot and recommend the SSX with an exit diameter of .643 with the 535. Those chokes have the best internal geometry, in my experience of any turkey chokes on the market, they are rated for all lead and "hard" shot and are very reasonably priced, especially for the quality.

If I can be of any help whatsover, please just let me know and I'll do all I can to be of assistance.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

mmc48

Postby mmc48 » December 27th, 2008, 5:27 pm

Hmm...well since you suggest 3" and at least a 26" barrel, what about the mossberg 500? I can get it cheaper in camo and a 26" barrel and shoot 3" shells. I have shot 3.5's before, and they can deal some punishment (to your shoulder at least). Do you have a choke/shell combo for the Mossberg 500? I would like to shoot Hevi-Shot #6's or similar.

Thank you for your help!

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » December 29th, 2008, 11:57 am

well first off let me say "sorry clark"

i own a mossberg 835 "tactical turkey gun" with the 20" barrel pistol grip & retractable stock it is equipped with a kicks 660 choke & ill tear a turkeys head off @ 50 steps NO PROBLEM not to mention the moveability & its light weight now ive owned the older 835s with a 26" barrel & yes it was a fine gun but i like the shorter better    i would steer away from the thumb hole just because it so heavy now all of the above is my opinion & we all know how the old sayin goes    i guess the best advice i can give you is SHOP AROUND its gonna be a while before turkey season opens anyway 

good luck this spring & welcome to the forum

grizzly

Postby grizzly » December 30th, 2008, 2:37 am

hi matt i know i'm going to be shouted down but i say go with a mossberg 500 batam in 20 gauge it's lite easy to carry and dos'nt kick as hard. believe me i'm old enough to remenber the 10 gauge push and my shoulder payed for it . a 20 can do every thing a 12 can with the right choke and loads at 40 yards.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » December 30th, 2008, 10:55 am

ol' grizzly is right my 835 packs a punch,on both ends

Return to Shooting