Mossberg 935 Autoloader

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Massturkey

Mossberg 935 Autoloader

Postby Massturkey » December 6th, 2008, 2:03 pm

Has anyone shot or own a Mossberg 935 Autoloader.  I have a .20 gauge tactical shotgun from Mossberg and love everything about it for the price i paid.  Being new to the sport of Turkey hunting i am looking to pick up a new turkey gun and was wondering if there were any opinions on this gun.

rbewilson

RE: Mossberg 935 Autoloader

Postby rbewilson » December 6th, 2008, 5:33 pm

I have a 935,and love it. It is a turkey killing machine.

Massturkey

Postby Massturkey » December 6th, 2008, 8:27 pm

Thats the feedback i like.  Have you made any modifications too it like a different chock or sites?

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » December 7th, 2008, 9:45 am

Hey Daniel,

First of all, welcome to this forum and welcome to the wonderful (addictive) world of turkey hunting.

I have a number of readers who own Mossberg 935 shotguns and they all like them. The only complaint has been from those who did not thoroughly clean both the action, fire control unit and barrel. That barrel, while it may look clean when it's new, is not and needs to be "deep cleaned" at least one time, preferably prior to the first shot. The action and fire control unit may have too much oil/grease and should be cleaned at some point, again, prior to use is best.

If the barrel is not really cleaned, you'll never get the excellent patterns that gun is capable of shooting. Some of the best patterns I've seen have come from those guns, with barrels at least 26" long and using 3" shells with #6 shot.

My readers have had the best results from chokes with an exit diameter of .670. I prefer the SSX because it delivers great patterns and is very reasonably priced. It's also rated for all lead and "hard shot" loads, like Hevi-Shot, Xtended Range, Wingmaster HD, etc.

Lastly, while that gun is capable of chambering 3.5" shells, I'd recommend that you shoot the 3" shells. They cost less, pattern better and have much less recoil.

If I can be of any help, just let me know.

Thanks,
Clark

P.S. Here's an article on "deep cleaning" http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=242
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

rbewilson

Postby rbewilson » December 8th, 2008, 10:43 am

Massturkey, I have a comp xxx-full choke tube in my 935. I am good for about 50+ yards, also a red-dot scope on it,the barrel is 28 inch long do not forget about a good re-coil pad to. Hope this help you.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » December 8th, 2008, 12:30 pm

i have a freind that had one for a while,he used it 1 season.he had trouble with it jammin' up on him, he was shootin 3.5" shells in it.my personal opinion, that was the problem(3.5" shells)i think if you go with what clark said & shoot a 3" shell you'll love it

Massturkey1

Postby Massturkey1 » December 10th, 2008, 4:24 am

Clark,

Thank you for your very descriptive response.  The Mossberg 935 autoloader is on back order from my distributor, but as soon as one comes in i'm going to make sure it gets cleaned before i use it.

Dont mind the new screen name, i already forgot my password and was forced to create a new screen name because i couldnt get the "forgot your password" link to send my password to my email.

Thanks Again,

Dan

Massturkey1

Postby Massturkey1 » December 10th, 2008, 4:29 am

rbewilson,

Thanks for the information on the choke.  I paln too order a good recoil pad and i will soon be looking in to different chokes. 

How does everyone feel about adjustable chokes.  Are they like alot of things that are adjustable and just end up having too many parts that can break or not funtion properly 

Turkeykiller

Postby Turkeykiller » January 1st, 2009, 5:28 pm

I HAVE THE 935 AND IT IS AWESOME YOU WONT BE DISSAPOINTED IN THE GUN

Return to Shooting