Chamber length

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
reKor11

Chamber length

Postby reKor11 » January 11th, 2009, 5:23 am

I just read an article in Outdoor Life about the ultimate turkey pattern.  They had an interesting take on 3.5" chambered shotguns.  The article stated that you can not achieve your maximum accuracy potential with anything but 3.5" shells in these guns, because the shot shell will not fill the chamber.  Any thoughts on this? Also, I have heard that 3" shells often pattern better than the 3.5" magnums.  Is this the case even in 3.5" chambered shotguns?  Thank you.

Turkeybuster

RE: Chamber length

Postby Turkeybuster » January 11th, 2009, 4:47 pm

HEY reKor11
Welcome to the site.

I shoot the 3.5 and have patterned these guns with 3" shells.
I don't see any difference just a little less recoil.
Shot 23/4 shells and they pattern good also.
Allaboutshooting would be the person to talk to for some technical advise.

Turkeybuster

grizzly

Postby grizzly » January 12th, 2009, 3:57 am

in  my honest opinion i do'nt see a need for 31/2 inch shells for turkey hunting it's just a gimmick to sell more guns. unless you use the same gun for waterfowl and have to use steel shot . i read all these artcles about 40 or more yards shots unless you're shoting in a feild i do'nt see it happeren.if i can't put them down for sure i will not shoot .. a 3 inch shell with the right choke will take turkey easy.

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » January 12th, 2009, 4:32 am

I have never heard that 3 inch wont shoot as good out of 3.5 inch guns. I shoot only 3 inch is more than enough for the type of hunting I do.  I have never had a problem killing a turkey. I think generally 3 inch shells do pattern better and a big part of that is there is soo much less recoil.  Just try both and see what you like. Alot of it is personal preference.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 12th, 2009, 12:36 pm

in my opinion , the 3 inch shell should actually pattern better from the 3,5 inch chamber as the longer chamber is not much , if any different, than a gun that has had the forcing cone lengthened, which will allow the shot column to enter the barrel with less stress and deformation of the shot. good round shot , without flat spots or egg shape , will fly straighter , resulting in a tighter pattern.
i shoot a fixed choke double. left/ full ,,right / modified. when the gun was new there was very little difference in pattern density or size at 25 yards. i made a tool to lengthen the cone of the full barrel ,which improved the pattern from that barrel , shooting 2 3/4 inch shells only.
CLARK ,,,please correct me if i'm wrong .

grizzly

Postby grizzly » January 13th, 2009, 4:07 am

to be honest i do'nt own a gun chambered for 31/2. never saw the reason to spend the extra money when a three inch can do the job.

reKor11

Postby reKor11 » January 13th, 2009, 5:47 am

I did not buy a 3.5 inch shotgun for turkey hunting.  Nor do i plan on using 3.5 for turkey.  It is my duck and goose gun, and was wondering if anyone knew if my 2.75 and 3 inch turkey shells would shoot as well as 3.5 inch shells out of that length chamber.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 13th, 2009, 7:22 am

HI GRIZZ

Where I hunt in Pa. there is alot of open timber almost like hunting in fields and birds are reluctant
to come closer than 50yds.
It wasn't always like that but there is a lot of clear and select cutting going on at present.
This is where the 3.5 fits into the eguasion, 3' guns are iffy at 50yds. 3.5's are deadly.
Hunting areas with plenty of cover and most swamps 3" guns are more than enough.
There are times when I will hunt a area that has some of each type of terrain in it and then I will
use a ou with a open choke in one barrel and tight choke in the other but still. 3.5's in the gun.
These guns got a bad wrap because of recoil and there are some of them I won't shoot because of
that.
I have a 1100 3" that kicks more than my winchester's or browning's in 3.5.
To sum it up if I need it I know it is there.

Turkeybuster

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » January 13th, 2009, 8:18 am

Wish I had the cardboard I shot this past weekend with 3.5 inch nickel plated number 4's loaded by fiocchi. One guy commented that his 3 inch gun dosen't do that good with 6's.  Next time I'm at the cabin I'll bring that cardboard home. 

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 13th, 2009, 1:41 pm

HEY WISTURKEYHUNTER

We all know it all depends on getting the right combination of gun choke and shells for our turkey guns.
My first 3.5 was a browning citori my son and wife gave me for fathers day one year.
Actually they got it for me for sportig clays and that winter I used it for geese also and it worked well.
The following spring I hunted turkey with it and really liked it so that got me started on the 3.5.
If you have the right gun the recoil isn't bad if not it is wicked but it is my gun of choice.
It will give you another 10yds.+ and is the difference between dead and graveyard dead![:D]

TURKEYBUSTER

Return to Shooting