WINCHESTER SUPER X 2

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Turkeybuster

WINCHESTER SUPER X 2

Postby Turkeybuster » December 11th, 2008, 4:12 pm

Is there any Super x 2 fans among us I never hear much about it?

Turkeybuster

NEbeardhunter21

RE: WINCHESTER SUPER X 2

Postby NEbeardhunter21 » December 11th, 2008, 4:31 pm

Evening 'buster,
           I've never tried the X2's but I have used the Winchester Supreme loads. They just killed 2 birds a couple of weeks ago from 35 yds, one in the air. I usually go with Remington loads which I like alot.
May your shells be live and your Toms be monsters

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » December 11th, 2008, 5:42 pm

Hey Jon,

I've been shooting an SX3 since September of 2007 and really like it. I used it for fall turkeys last year, spring turkeys this year and then again in the fall season. I've also shot all the clay sports, doves, ducks, geese, quail and anything else that I could.

The SX3 is basically the same as the SX2 inside but with a different, more slimmed down, exterior.

It balances well in the hand, is very light to carry and as quick as any self-loader I've ever shot. I've also watched Patrick Flanigan do things with an X3 that are truly amazing.

My only objection to it is the very narrow recoil pad. I'd like to see a bit wider and softer pad.

Are you an X2 shooter?

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » December 12th, 2008, 5:02 am

c'mon guys keep chatin' about this subject, ive been thinkin that the x3 could be my next big purchase any info will be highly noted

thanx guys

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » December 12th, 2008, 9:40 am

Hey Ken,

Here's an article and performance review of the SX3:

http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=219

I hope it helps.

Thanks,
Clark

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » December 12th, 2008, 10:47 am

nice read clark,let me ask you this,if you were gonna buy a new shotgun & it was gonna be a winchester? would you buy the super x 2 or the super x 3   i think im to that point im just not sure on which way to go,heres another non hunting related question for you,,,,after reading your interveiw with flanigan & talking to him about his life ya'll touched base a little on his mma career are you a mma fan?if so & if not go to ufc.com & check out the corey hill fight from last wed. night its crazy what happened to that guy

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » December 12th, 2008, 1:43 pm

Hey Ken,

Thanks for the kind words. I really like the SX3 and have used it for everything since last September. I have not put the SX2 through the same process, so I'm not sure I'm really qualified to compare them. They both have excellent reputations for reliability in the field. The X3 is lighter. slimmer and very well balanced. Internally, they are just about the same except for some lightening of the magazine tube, etc.

My father was a professional fighter. I became a fight fan as a child. I grew up in the Louisville, KY area watching Cassius Clay and saw all of his fights both amateur and professional. My Dad taught one of his trainers, Don Asbury, who later became a professional referee,  to fight. Joe Martin, another trainer of his and also a police officer in Louisville, was a friend.

I lost interest in boxing several years ago when the quality of fighters (I only followed the Heavyweight fighters) declined to about the same level that it was in the early 1960's when CC revived it.

Other than my conversations with Pat over the years and discussing his interest in MMA, I really have no knowledge of it. I've devoted so much time to the shooting sports in the last several years, that at times I don't feel I've kept up with much of anything else.

Thanks,
Clark

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » December 12th, 2008, 5:22 pm

HI CLARK
Thanks for the comeback,yes I shoot the super x 2.I purchased the NWTF model in2001.
This was the first year for this model.
I used it for everything as you did with the x3 and have had no problems whatsoever.
The action did slow down some at one point and when I extracted a peice of hemlock limb
from the mechanism it was back to normal again.
It has never malfunctioned and has been exposed to some very harsh conditions.
Purchased another one with a 26" barrel just because it points very nicely.
I get excellent patterns with a Banser Ported 665 tube and Supreme no. 4,5,or 6 shot.
Supreme HD will tighten the pattern to 12" at 40yds. and 20" at 60yds with 5's or 6 shot.
I use the same choke tube in both guns with identical results.
I prefere the heaver stock and rib on the x2 as ribs can take a beating in the turkey woods or
goose pit.

The Turkeybuster

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » December 12th, 2008, 5:48 pm

HELLO NEbeardhunter21

If you like Remington loads and haven't tried the duplex 4x6 you should.
It is a extremely good load and usually will pattern good to excellent in any gun.
I used this load for a long time with very good results,still keep a case on hand for emergency's.
I sort of got away from them when I went to the 3.5"gun,wish they made them in 3.5's they would
be awesome I'am sure.
If you have a chance to try the X2 or X3 do so I think you will like them,they also like the 3"duplex!

The Turkeybuster

NEbeardhunter21

Postby NEbeardhunter21 » December 13th, 2008, 4:27 am

Mornin 'buster,
       Thanks for the tip, I'll try them. I feel kind of dumb being the first to chime in and not know what I was talkin about. I now realize you were refering to the gun and not the loads. Sorry, my rookie status shows from time to time.[&:]
May your shells be live and your Toms be monsters

Next

Return to Shooting