Cutting Down Synthetic stocks??

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
NYSuperSportsman

Cutting Down Synthetic stocks??

Postby NYSuperSportsman » January 14th, 2009, 11:30 am

I currently have a mossberg 835 in full camo with a 28" barrell and a turkey choke.  I have used this as my turkey gun for 6 years but I have always struggled with the length of pull on the gun and the fact that the gun is soo heavy with the long barrell. I contemplated selling the gun but I really hate to sell anything lol. I found a good deal on a 24" turkey barrell and I was just wondering if any of you guys have ever cut down a synthetic stock or if it can be done? If I could get it cut down I would really have the turkey gun that I have been searching for!! Any input would be appreciated!! Thanks

Tntrkyhntr

RE: Cutting Down Synthetic stocks??

Postby Tntrkyhntr » January 14th, 2009, 1:02 pm

Here is the problem with doing that....When you remove the screws from the butt stock pad, you will notice that the stock has been molded with the screw holes in place.  If you remove any length of the butt stock, you will also remove the form that holds the screws.  Also, the chance of your butt stock pad fitting back in the stock is very slim.  However, the solution to this would be to get a butt pad that slips over the butt stock.  So, it can be done, and by replacing the pad with the slip over kind, you should be able to get the gun to fit you how you want it to.  It's as simple as lining it up on a chop saw with a good blade, making your mark where you want the cut, and there you go....good luck!!
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
Commando Hunting Products Pro Staff
President Middle Tn Kids Hunting For A Cure

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 14th, 2009, 2:18 pm

another suggestion is , there are many AFTERMARKET  stocks to check out and i think i read somewhere that the YOUTH MODEL of that gun has an adjustable buttstock so the length of pull can be changed as the youth grows. i may be wrong , but i'd bet their website could tell for sure .
good luck

grizzly

Postby grizzly » January 14th, 2009, 9:19 pm

mark they do'nt make a youth model stock for the 835
but they do make a wooden one

grizzly

Postby grizzly » January 14th, 2009, 11:17 pm

if you get on the mossberg web site i see they make an adjustable tactical stock for the 835

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » January 15th, 2009, 4:25 am

Last year I actually bought a tactical (pistol grip) stock and put it on the gun. It was shorter and it felt better but when I was sitting in the hunting position and shooting it, it would hit me in the cheek when I shot. It was kind of painful lol so I dont like that type of stock. I am going to get ahold of a local gun smith and see how much he would charge me to cut down the stock and refit a pad. I consider myself pretty compitent with tools and such so I just want to see if it something I could do myself.... On the other hand I dont want to ruin my stock. Thanks for the help soo far and keep the info coming.

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » January 20th, 2009, 3:16 pm

I got my stock cut down this weekend! I did it myself. I measured it, cut it and re-fitted the buttpad with a sander. It looks great and it worked out well. Thanks alot for all the help fellas.

grizzly

Postby grizzly » January 21st, 2009, 12:18 am

i'm glad it worked out good for you. 90 days till opening day

Bigmarv

Postby Bigmarv » January 31st, 2009, 6:07 am

Sorry about recommending that stock to you last year. My son love the one i put on his Mossberg 500. If you still have it and won't to sell it, make me a price. I may be interested buying it for my 870 Supermag, if the price is right.
ORIGINAL: NYSuperSportsman

Last year I actually bought a tactical (pistol grip) stock and put it on the gun. It was shorter and it felt better but when I was sitting in the hunting position and shooting it, it would hit me in the cheek when I shot. It was kind of painful lol so I dont like that type of stock. I am going to get ahold of a local gun smith and see how much he would charge me to cut down the stock and refit a pad. I consider myself pretty compitent with tools and such so I just want to see if it something I could do myself.... On the other hand I dont want to ruin my stock. Thanks for the help soo far and keep the info coming.
Bigmarv

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » January 31st, 2009, 6:57 am

Big marv,
No worries about that. It must just be the way i hold the gun or something. no biggie. I got everything figured out . I will send you a PM about the stock.

Return to Shooting