Choke tubes?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
turkeydoghunter

RE: Choke tubes?

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 24th, 2009, 6:19 am

you said you did you must have lied to me im not doing anything you havent done to me frank grow up everyone knows you by now....you missed at 70 yard before and you will this year too ....and i dont have to buy em from nitro just got a box for christmas....bye[:D] ps you and pa steve shouldnt be calling people names .....its not professional....please try and control yourselves, and be gentlemen

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 24th, 2009, 9:40 am

TC

"Not to change the subject" but you have a killin machine there, your patterns near as I can tell are
probably 2" smaller than mine at 40yds. and about the same at 50yds.
That is shooting no.#6 winchester extended range with a .665 Banser ported tube.
Your 30yd. target and mine are about the same.
I havent figured out how to post pictures yet or I would do it however this is what I calculated my patterns at.
20yd.5" 30YD,7" 40YD.12" 50YD.16" 60YD.20" this is even core density not measureing flyers etc.
This is with a 3.5 mag. winchester with a 24" barrel.
The nitro load you are useing is awesome, my patterns are not as dense due to the lack of the no.7 shot and my load is a 2oz. load.

TB

pabeard buster

Postby pabeard buster » January 24th, 2009, 11:47 am

how about more tube talk. im gona buy a new 870 sps, and wana know a good solid choke for it. im not at all a perfect hunter so would like to be able to shoot at 40-50 but still be able to shoot close if i have too. i would never shoot over 50 though. without a scope how do u even see a beard. lol
cluck cluck,
Gobble Gobble Gobble,
BANG!

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » January 24th, 2009, 12:21 pm

I shoot a carlson's ported .660 turkey choke in my 870 with fiocchi golden turkey nickel plated loads. It does as good a job as I'd expect a gun with lead ammo to do. I'd forget the scope. Not needed on a shotgun.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » January 24th, 2009, 12:35 pm

scope?hee..heee..not on one of my shotguns

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 24th, 2009, 12:53 pm

NO SCOPE,,,NO CHOKE TUBES,,,NO SLING

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 24th, 2009, 1:43 pm

HI PABEARDBUSTER

Try a UNDERTAKER by HS STRUT they are inexpensive at 20.00 and are very good chokes.

Turkeybuster

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » January 24th, 2009, 3:12 pm

First of all, welcome to the T&TH forum. It's a great place with lots of folks who will try to be of help.

The 870 is a great choice. Those are fine shotguns that will last a lifetime (or more) with reasonable care.

I would recommend that before you shoot it or pattern it, you "deep clean" the barrel. While it may look clean, it probably still has some residue from the manufacturing process and perhaps some oil or other contaminants.  I'd recommend http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=242

As far as chokes go, a good bit depends on barrel length and shotshell choice. It's hard to go wrong with 3" Winchester HV (Black Shells) with 1.75 oz. of #6 shot or if you want to shoot tungsten-based shot, the 3" Winchester Xtended Range Hi-Density Shell with 1.75 oz. of #6 shot is a great choice. Both of those shells are very consistent performers and will deliver excellent dense patterns at 40+ yards and have enough retained energy to cleanly kill turkeys.

I recommend the SSX Turkey Choke. http://allaboutshooting.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=74 It's rated for all lead and tungsten-based shot, has great internal geometry and is very reasonably priced for a premium quality turkey choke.

That choke with either of those shells and your new 870 should be all that you need to take a nice bird in the turkey woods this spring.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

thundrchikin

Postby thundrchikin » January 24th, 2009, 4:11 pm

I shoot a 870 28" barrel .660 comp-n-choke Win HV #4 or #5 both pattern extremely well. As for the scope I don't care for them,but I've got a few buddies who love theres.
canecreekcalls.com

thundrchikin

Postby thundrchikin » January 25th, 2009, 3:50 am

After thinking about it, I gues a scope would be an option if your point of impact and sighting point were different, not hitting where your aiming. If your gun has rifle sights you should be o.k. usually enough adjustment.It's hard to remember to point at the feet to hit the head with all the other things going on in a turkey hunt! Feet/Head exageration but possible.
canecreekcalls.com

PreviousNext

Return to Shooting