Choke tubes?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
TF

Choke tubes?

Postby TF » January 21st, 2009, 10:26 am

Just bought new super black eagle,  thinking of getting a rhino ckoke any other ideas? thanks

silvestris

RE: Choke tubes?

Postby silvestris » January 21st, 2009, 10:37 am

It is generally a question of trade-offs.  If you want to kill them as far as you can see them, it will cost you in too tight a pattern at closer ranges, likely causing misses at close-in gobblers.  I like a basketball sized pattern at 30 yards with the shot evenly, but densely situated.  That is a set-up I can live with.  If the gobbler is past 40 yards, I have not earned him.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

thundrchikin

Postby thundrchikin » January 21st, 2009, 3:01 pm

I have had alot of success with comp-n-choke they pattern well in both my rem. 870 and mossberg 835.
canecreekcalls.com

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » January 21st, 2009, 4:08 pm

Hey Tom,

First of all, welcome to the forum. I know you'll find it a great place.

There probably is no more controversial topic than turkey chokes. As far as I can determine, I've tried all the commercially available models, through most guns and with most if not all, commercially available shotshells.

In reality, most will pattern well when paired with the right gun, barrel and shotshell. The challenge of course is finding out what works well or best with your gun.

In as concise a statement as I know how to make on the subject, unless you're obsessed with "killing paper" and seeing how many holes you can make in a specific circle of some size, you don't need to spend a lot of money on either chokes or shotshells.

The 3" Winchester HV (Black Shell) with 1.75 oz. of #6 lead shot, that was introduced in 1996, has probably been responsible for the death of more turkeys than any other shell on the market today. It still kills them as dead as dead can be today.

That shell is widely available, very reasonably priced and exceptionally consistent. I recommend the 3" shell over the 3.5" shell because it patterns better, costs less and kicks a lot less.

It is the internal geometry of a choke tube that is important to its performance, not the exit diameter. Charlie Boswell, the owner of both Comp N Choke and Kick's proved that many years ago with his fine designs.

In my tests, there are 2 very reasonably priced turkey chokes that will handle all lead and tungsten-based shot turkey loads that just work time after time, in gun after gun.

The SSX designed by Roger Burrell is a premium quality choke tube with great "internals", rated for all turkey loads and very reasonably priced.

The Wright's #3 is a limited production turkey choke with a long parallel section and great internal geometry that I've used for years with excellent results. Not as widely available but again, a great turkey choke.

You can see these recommendations and others at http://allaboutshooting.com/index.php?cPath=23

You just don't need the "latest and greatest" and certainly not the most expensive choke/shotshell to cleanly kill turkeys at all ethical ranges.

Please let me know if I can help.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » January 21st, 2009, 4:26 pm

Hey William,

I think you stated the case very well. We need to be calling in those birds to 40 yards or less and 30 is by far better.

Your comparison to a basketball sized pattern is, in my opinion, also right on the mark. That will allow for any movement of a bird and still give you dense even patterns. That's where the internal geometry of a choke tube is so important.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 22nd, 2009, 4:49 am

HI TC

What is this load a 4" magnum 3oz. load?
660 Tube?
How many times did you shoot this target?

Turkeybuster

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 23rd, 2009, 7:18 am

nice TC [:D][:D][:D]
TB

Postby Guest » January 23rd, 2009, 7:42 am

TC at $7.00 a shell you shouldn't waist those kill'in that paper, I am sure it don't taste very good no matter how much gravy you poor on it.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 23rd, 2009, 1:59 pm

TC

What kind of a mess does that look like at 20 and 30yds.[8|]

TB

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 24th, 2009, 2:50 am

what  about all(not that i dont miss) misses at 70 yards ....you missed 7 that year with nitrOs

Next

Return to Shooting