Right Hand Shooter,Left Eye Dominant

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
tracebusta32

Right Hand Shooter,Left Eye Dominant

Postby tracebusta32 » February 3rd, 2009, 4:16 am

I wanted to get some opinions on how to fix a problem that I didn't know I had.

I hunted turkeys for many years without missing, but the last two years I have missed 5-6 times. I would come out of the woods shaking my head on the ones I missed within 20 yards.

I changed sights, then the gun, then the choke and then the sights again. I had read somewhere about being left eye dominant but shooting right handed and the problems it caused, well this is the category I fall in so I wanted to get some opinions on how to fix this problem.

Thanks in Advance
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Ozarks Hillbilly

RE: Right Hand Shooter,Left Eye Dominant

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 3rd, 2009, 4:36 am

I am no expert but to me is seems like just taking your gun out and shooting it you should be able to adjust your point of impact to where your looking.

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 3rd, 2009, 5:18 am

I wish it was that simple, but when I do the "test" of pointing my finger at an object and closing my left then my right eye there is a considerable gap between the two.
As I have gotten older my eyes aren't what they used to be.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 3rd, 2009, 5:26 am

If you take your gun in front of a mirror and point it with your right eye open left eye closed are you looking into your right eye when you sight down the barrel?

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » February 3rd, 2009, 5:58 am

Hey David,

One of the "benefits" of aging is that at some point, your dominant eye may change. I have always been a "both eyes open" shooter. A few years ago, I started experiencing the same problem you are having.

My left eye tried to take over from my right eye. After I figured out what was going on, I started closing the left eye when I shot and solved the problem. I did not have to to do this forever. After some period of time, the right eye took over again and I can now shoot as I have for most of my life with both eyes open.

If you've been shooting with both eyes open, you may want to try closing your left eye and forcing your right eye to do the work.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

dawei

Postby dawei » February 3rd, 2009, 6:36 am

ORIGINAL: tracebusta32

I wanted to get some opinions on how to fix a problem that I didn't know I had.

I hunted turkeys for many years without missing, but the last two years I have missed 5-6 times. I would come out of the woods shaking my head on the ones I missed within 20 yards.

I changed sights, then the gun, then the choke and then the sights again. I had read somewhere about being left eye dominant but shooting right handed and the problems it caused, well this is the category I fall in so I wanted to get some opinions on how to fix this problem.

Thanks in Advance
[color="#0000ff"]I'm right handed but left eye dominant. I shoot a handgun right handed w/both eyes open. To shoot a rifle or shotgun however left handed is the only way that works. I've shot this way all my life (59 in 3 mos) & am not about to change. YMMVH.
[/color]

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 3rd, 2009, 7:59 am

The only simple cure for cross-dominance is a red dot or reflex sight with no parallax.  My opinion is that the best sight for turkey hunting is the Trijicon Tri-Power.  I use the Trijicon Reflex II with the 12.5 amber triangle because I can't spring for the Tri-Power at this time.  Shoot from either shoulder with both eyes open.  It is a miracle.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 3rd, 2009, 8:09 am

Thanks fellas, my brother has a red dot he doesn't use, it came with his Mossberg 535 so I think I will try it out. Silvestris it's a tru glo brand so i'm not sure how good it will be but it will be a start.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » February 3rd, 2009, 4:52 pm

LASIC.  A lot of older shooters have had this done with great results.  Some companies offer a health savings plan that allows you to save for the procedure pre-tax.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 4th, 2009, 4:10 am

I don't think LASIC can correct eye dominance; it is a brain thing.  Quite possibly the problem comes from right handed parents correcting their young children by making their left eye/handed children use their right hand.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Next

Return to Shooting