Nitros

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
StevePA

Nitros

Postby StevePA » February 13th, 2009, 3:26 am

Seems nowadays wanna bust on guys using dekes or blinds...Wonder how many of em pack their guns full of these shells?....
turkeykiller

NYSuperSportsman

RE: Nitros

Postby NYSuperSportsman » February 13th, 2009, 6:12 am

I know what you mean!
I think they are impressive but I dont think are necessary. I can kill a turkey inside of 30 yards with any good turkey load.  If a turkey doesnt come inside of 30 yards then I have not earned him.

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » February 13th, 2009, 6:58 am

good point,

However, you should only need one shell or two a year.  If that be the case, then the shells could last you many, many years.  This way they are not as expensive as you think as there is some initial investment, but the appreciated cost is satisfactory over time.  They just plain pattern better out of any choke I've tried.  For me, I'll sleep better at night knowing I'm throwing the best lead I can at one that gets hung up at 32 YARDS.  I don't mean any disrespect NYsupersports, but I find it real hard to believe that if a turkey is just over 30 yds and isn't coming any closer, you will not try to reach out and touch it, especially if its a whopper of a bird.  Say, a top 5 state record booker.  C'mon.   If you can use a shell that is more effective and increases your range, then I say "why not".  It like sayin', well my rifle shoots 250 yd 1" groups with Federal ammo, but I could buy win. supremes that shoot 1" groups at 300 yds, but I won't because I will never shoot a deer at 300 yds.  Depends on the customer chap!  Different strokes, different folks.  I am capable of shooting a deer at 300 yrds where I hunt, so why not I say.
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 13th, 2009, 8:28 am

I have bought them and tried them, they are in fact a great shell. I don't think they are necessary for people shooting birds at 40  or less yards but they do throw a nice pellet count in the target.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 13th, 2009, 10:19 am

Nitros are the difference between dead and graveyard dead,I use the Winchester extended range and don't like to let a turkey get under 40 yds. due to the tight pattern.
Depends on the type ot terraine you are hunting if I was going to shoot 30-40yds. I would shoot my Model 12 2 3/4 with Super X no. 5 shot. It would be more than enough.
TB

bubbalp

Postby bubbalp » February 13th, 2009, 10:29 am

Federal Flight control will put him down for the count out at 40 plus yard. I got a 20 pounder last year at about 47 yard. Took his head off. out of a
Remington 1100 x-full choke and flight control #5's. I will be trying #4's to see how fare they will reach. Got the same problem if he is inside 35 yards it's like shooting a slug. At the target range the wad dropped at 32 yards.
Good Hunting from central Va...Bubbalp

NYSuperSportsman

Postby NYSuperSportsman » February 13th, 2009, 11:19 am

I will say that the guy that waits on every turkey to get to 30 yards or less will come home empty handed more times than not.
I've yet to meet the turkey hunter that is perfect in his range estimation every time or in the heat of battle see every small sapling or twig between him and his target.

I am not about to get into a heated debate here. But I really don't mind at all coming home empty handed if a bird doesnt come inside of 30 yards. And of course there is a margin of error here. And in no way am i criticizing anyone who shoots a turkey farther. I am well aware that many different turkey gun/ ammo combos will kill a turkey at very long distances. Its just not for me. When I call a turkey in I want him in close. Thats the way I like to hunt. If I come home empty handed because of that reason then so be it. I have no problem with that. It gives me a good reason to get up again the next day and get after them.  You might kill more turkeys than me but I will still be having fun. As far as nitro ammo is concerned as I stated before I know some guys that shoot it and they love it . It is very very impressive and maybe worth the money. I just dont need it within 30 yards. God willing I have alot of seasons ahead of me, so maybe I will change my mind. But for now this is how I plan on hunting.
I hope I dont come off wrong and like I said I mean no criticizm to anyone at all. This is just me doing things my way.

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 13th, 2009, 12:46 pm

In the mid-80s, I had a client who had his Remington Pump rifle blow up on him.  His greatest damage was severe Tinitus.  I sued Remington and Federal, the manufacturer of the shell.  In addition to a reasonable settlement, my client received a new rifle and my discussions with Federal led to the company sending me a case of Federal Premium 3",  7 1/2 shot, 2 oz. copper plated loads.  I patterned my SBE yesterday with a Rhino .660 choke and received a very nice 40 yard pattern.  I try to never shoot a gobbler past 30 yards, so I feel I am set for the rest of my hunting career with that gun/choke combination.  I have about five 10 round boxes left. 
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 13th, 2009, 2:08 pm

Seems like some of you may be missing out on the experience of observing everything in nature...
turkeykiller

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 13th, 2009, 2:38 pm

I have a remington pump 06. Was it the fault of the ammo or the rifle that the rifle blew up?

Next

Return to Shooting