Choke tubes!

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
swpatrkyhunter

Choke tubes!

Postby swpatrkyhunter » February 17th, 2009, 10:34 am

Anybody got good rcomendations for a choke tube? I shoot a Stoeger model 2000 and although it came with a turkey choke tube It does not get as tight a pattern as I thought it would. I have tried different loads but I'm still not satisfied with the results. I know a good choke tube can get pretty expensive so before going out and buying something I may not be happy with I was hoping for some suggestions.

silvestris

RE: Choke tubes!

Postby silvestris » February 17th, 2009, 10:46 am

I wonder if there is as much variation in a certain choke tube as there seems to be in certain shotguns.  I wonder like that sometimes.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

dogknott

Postby dogknott » February 17th, 2009, 10:51 am

From what i have seen, just buy a Turkey type choke tube that is in your price range and tickled you with their ads, and start shooting diff. loads thru it. All tube useally pattern something real well.

btw, i went with Carlson

thundrchikin

Postby thundrchikin » February 17th, 2009, 10:58 am

I've had really good success with comp-n-choke.I shoot the .660 in my 870 and the .670 in my 835.Both guns throw really dense patterns with #4 or #5 shot Win.HV 3" in the 870 and 3 1/2 in the 835.Good luck with whatever you chose.
canecreekcalls.com

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » February 17th, 2009, 10:58 am

Hey Frank,

I've talked to a lot of folks who shoot the Stoeger 2000 shotgun. It's a fine gun that's capable of shooting excellent patterns. The addition of an after-market turkey choke can certainly help its performance however.

I recommend the SSX for that shotgun. http://allaboutshooting.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=79 It is very reasonably priced for a premium quality turkey choke that is rated for all lead and tungsten-based shot. It has excellent internal geometry and delivers dense, even patterns with a variety of shotshells.

That choke with the 3" Winchester HV or Winchester XRHD or Hevi-13 shotshells will produce some great turkey killing patterns.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » February 17th, 2009, 2:24 pm

Thanks Clark! I use Winchester Turkey ammo so that suggestion you have made will help me greatly!

And thanks for everyones input!

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 18th, 2009, 4:43 am

swpatrkyhunter,

Let me know how that gun does, they have them on sale around here for $399 with the original tag being $798 thats a heckuva a deal on a good looking gun....The one over here has the pistol grip also
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » February 18th, 2009, 2:09 pm

Tracebusta32!
 If you have seen one for THAT price I would jump on it! I love my gun! I have not heard anyone who has one being dissapointed for the purchase. The parent company to that gun is Benelli. It has the same inertia drive system as the Benelli shotguns. My only complaint is with the choke tube that came with it. I just want something with a tighter pattern for my preferance.
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

Return to Shooting