How far is too far ?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Magnumdood

RE: How far is too far ?

Postby Magnumdood » March 4th, 2009, 7:27 am

I've been at this game for 10 years.

I'm not a good caller.  Bad?  Maybe not bad, but not good either.

Long-distance shooter?  How many times do I have to post where I like to set up before you believe it?  My gun is fully capable of cleanly killing a bird out to 70 yards and I have the skill to read the conditions that may exist.  But...I try to get the birds in a shooting area between[color="#cc0000"] 25 and 40[/color] yards away from me.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 4th, 2009, 12:38 pm

hey DOOD,
just curious here . are you setting up on field edges or in the timber ?
i ain't the best ''turkey caller '' either . but there are places in every woodlot or forest that will most likely put tom inside that 40 yard mark .
quite a few hunters want to be able to watch the gobbler come from long distance . that is a set up for a '' hung up bird '' in most cases . that's based on my experience .
no critcism or pokin' fun now ,,, this is serious ,,,and season is nearly here . let's talk turkey.

''old school turkey tactics ''

Snedley

Postby Snedley » March 4th, 2009, 12:57 pm

...and it all starts to make sense.
If ya can't call'em in close...shoot'em at 70 yards. Or better yet stalk up closer to'em and bushwhack'em.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » March 4th, 2009, 2:36 pm

how do you tell if the conditions require a 70 yard shot??? let me guess... its when the winds are at your back

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » March 4th, 2009, 2:51 pm

ORIGINAL: mark hay

hey DOOD,
just curious here . are you setting up on field edges or in the timber ?
i ain't the best ''turkey caller '' either . but there are places in every woodlot or forest that will most likely put tom inside that 40 yard mark .
quite a few hunters want to be able to watch the gobbler come from long distance . that is a set up for a '' hung up bird '' in most cases . that's based on my experience .
no critcism or pokin' fun now ,,, this is serious ,,,and season is nearly here . let's talk turkey.

''old school turkey tactics ''

I have no choice but to set up in a wood lot.  Where I hunt there are no pastures.

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » March 4th, 2009, 2:52 pm

ORIGINAL: Snedley

...and it all starts to make sense.

What?  3rd grade?

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » March 4th, 2009, 2:54 pm

ORIGINAL: trkyklr

how do you tell if the conditions require a 70 yard shot??? let me guess... its when the winds are at your back

...that's all you can do is guess, and that one is, as you expected....is wrong.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » March 4th, 2009, 3:00 pm

maybe its...maybe its...when you've been sittin under a tree for the last 4 hours watchin' a bird strut back & forth in front of you,with a slightly quartering wind hitting the back of your left shoulder,while your right a$$ cheek is numb & your arms are killin you from holdin your gun up....yeah maybe thats it?[;)]

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » March 4th, 2009, 3:10 pm

ORIGINAL: trkyklr

maybe its...maybe its...when you've been sittin under a tree for the last 4 hours watchin' a bird strut back & forth in front of you,with a slightly quartering wind hitting the back of your left shoulder,while your right a$$ cheek is numb & your arms are killin you from holdin your gun up....yeah maybe thats it?[;)]

I'm impressed - that guess could very well mimic some times I've had in the field.  But then, you've probably got double (at least) the time in the field I do.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » March 4th, 2009, 3:12 pm

this year will be my 1st[;)]

PreviousNext

Return to Shooting