How far is too far ?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Magnumdood

RE: How far is too far ?

Postby Magnumdood » March 1st, 2009, 9:09 am

ORIGINAL: silvestris

ORIGINAL: icdedturkes

Who am I too judge???

You are icdedtutkes.  Everyone judges, whether they admit it or not, and it is a very good thing as judging has a positive effect on the behavior of our fellow man.

Yea, like the judging at the Salem Witch Trials, and judging that resulted in Black Folks being declared 3/5 of a person, and the judging that "separate but equal" was fair to all involved, and the judging that slavery was acceptable and legal.  Yeah, judging sure does promote "better" behavior.
I'm From Texas
[size=150]What Country
[size=150]Are You From?

Limbhanger150

Postby Limbhanger150 » March 1st, 2009, 9:55 am

I hunted a particular bird for two years. (not consecutively) I knew he was in the same general area on private land and had distinctive characteristics in his appearance, so I knew it was the same bird. The closest I ever got to him (or he came in to me) was 50 yards. It was in a field that I set up in before daylight and he pitched in with a few hens and jakes. I called a little before flydown (tree yelp) and did a fly down cackle before any of the birds flew down. They flew in from all directions and it was quite a sight to see. I thought it was over for him but he never got closer than 50 yards.

I was telling a gentleman about it and he suggested "Nitro shells" with a .670 choke. He then proceeded to tell me it would be good out to 70 yards. I told him I had never killed bird further than 42 yards and that was because I thought he was closer. He then said "well, if you want to really increase your odds then you better get that gun patterning well out past 50 yards." I  told him that most of my hunting was in places where visibility was limited and thanks but no thanks. He kept on about how turkey hunting was changing and that eventually someone would come up with a 100 yard combo. I said, "when that happens I guess there will be no need for turkey callers right?" He finally got my point and we agreeed to disagree.

Gobblernut

Postby Gobblernut » March 1st, 2009, 11:03 am

[:)]  How about we all go out and buy a 243 caliber we'll help the economy plus we can take the calling and challenge out of turkey hunting..THe hunt is what it is about spending time chasing and playing one of the greatest sports in the world.. Called Turkey Hunting.. I'm not impressed with shooting a turkey over 60 yds if you want to impress me use your skills and ability to get him into 25yds..
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

paboxcall

Postby paboxcall » March 1st, 2009, 11:51 am

To me, its a turkey hunt, not a turkey shoot.  I'm not waking up at crack of dawn to drive to the local gun club, lay down two dollars, and be given a chance to hit a small piece of paper with an X in the middle and win a block of cheese or a slab of bacon.  I'm waking up to match wits with the greatest game bird of them all.

My Winchester 1300 will pattern well to 50 yards.  I have confidence up through that distance because I did my research, invested the time and resources on the range, ensured my sights are accurate, and suffered the repeated recoil punishment my little 1300 happily hands out.  That investment has produced a high level of confidence in my shooting set-up out to 50 yards. 

Yet I have let gobblers walk away at distances between 40 and 50 yards, because for me, that same confidence does not transfer to the woods.  Range confidence is not woods confidence, and here is why:

Too often small saplings go unnoticed in the heat of the moment.  Too often brush is growing unnoticed between me and the gobbler.  Too often wind conditions are not the same as the days on the range, and a load of shot is heavily influenced by wind as it approaches the end of its effective range.  The end result of misjudging +/- 5 yards at 25 yards is still a tight pattern with lots of energy, but misjudging +/- 5 yards at 45 yards, with all the above woods-realistic variables taken into account, is a risk I'm not willing to take.  And, as someone mentioned above, a turkey's vital area at 30 yards is a much larger target than it is at 45 yards.

I may win a few of those turkey shoots using my hunting set up (what's better than cheese and bacon?), but if its windy on the day of the local turkey shoot, and I'm shooting out towards my set-up's maximum range, well the only thing I go home feeling bad about is losing a couple bucks, not kicking myself for peppering a gobbler and watching him fly across the hollow. 

Shooting that last ten yards of my effective range, especially when factoring in all the different variables found in the woods, simply pushes my ability to confidently get the job done way out onto the edge of the bell curve.  To each their own, but long range isn't for me.  I like to keep myself in the middle of the bell curve, even if it means watching that 45 yard bird walk off and I go home with tag not punched -- I was in the presence of the turkey, the greatest game bird of them all.
"So much of this business of hunting turkeys, you stupid it up right at the last.
You do everything right for an hour and a half, and then you sit down here
and there's nothing you can do about it, you made a mistake."
Tom Kelly, [i]Turkey Tales

silvestris

Postby silvestris » March 1st, 2009, 12:34 pm

Well said, paboxcall, well said.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » March 1st, 2009, 3:22 pm

ORIGINAL: Gobblernut

[:)]  How about we all go out and buy a 243 caliber we'll help the economy plus we can take the calling and challenge out of turkey hunting..THe hunt is what it is about spending time chasing and playing one of the greatest sports in the world.. Called Turkey Hunting.. I'm not impressed with shooting a turkey over 60 yds if you want to impress me use your skills and ability to get him into 25yds..

Trust me when I say impressing you isn't even on my radar.
I'm From Texas
[size=150]What Country
[size=150]Are You From?

Don S

Postby Don S » March 1st, 2009, 5:15 pm

tink said it best, and I agree, this will never end--- TO far or to close, Ford or Chevy, to smoke or not, have a beer or not ? I have been on both sides over the years, I have shot game from 10 to over 500 yards, both have good and bad sides to doing it. If you don't like it don't do it, if you and your equipment can do it who am I to say your wrong. I'm not taking sides but if guys didn't push the limits we would ALL be hunting with sticks and would not be talking on this site, it woundn't be here ! Sometimes I like up close and personal and use my skills, other times I like to use my equipment. BUT ONE THINGS FOR SURE, YOU BETTER STAND UP FOR YOU RIGHTS AND STAND TOGETHER OR NONE OF US WILL BE HUNTING AT 25, 40 OR 70 YARDS. NOW MOVE ON

silvestris

Postby silvestris » March 2nd, 2009, 3:42 am

There is but one difference between short range shooting and long range shooting and that is that short range shooting either kills or misses turkeys while long range shooting will eventually lead to crippled turkeys.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Don S

Postby Don S » March 2nd, 2009, 4:19 am

I agree there is a greater chance of wounded game when the range increases, both sides can be picked on all day, game has been wounded both close and far and a true sportsman SHOULD use good judgement to make a killing shot. some "hunters" have no right to shoot at any distance .

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » March 2nd, 2009, 7:28 am

In the last 5 years, the ranges on this website have went from 40 yards to now 70 yds...you do the math.

If your shooting birds at those distances then your not hunting, soon enough we will have longer 70 yd shotguns but it's up to the real hunters to educate the people before they accept this into a part of turkey hunting.

Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

PreviousNext

Return to Shooting