How far is too far ?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
greyghost

RE: How far is too far ?

Postby greyghost » February 28th, 2009, 8:42 am

Please Magnumdood. Just call thats all.

So long everyone, its been fun, entertaining and yes enlightening.

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » February 28th, 2009, 8:50 am

Alright.

Done.

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » February 28th, 2009, 6:27 pm

deleted

tinker

Postby tinker » February 28th, 2009, 8:52 pm

Magnumdood,
 great looking piece! I had a 30-378, switched to a Lazzeroni-chambered weapon of my own make. Was supposed to go on an elk hunt but wound up in the hospital and missed it. That is a fine looking piece of equipment.
 This topic of "too-far not-close-enough" is just crazy to me. When hunters switched from black powder front stuffers, they were maligned. When we came up with magnums, the 30-30 crowd wanted to stone bolt action guys to death.  I'm sorry...if I work a tom from the roost to 40 yards over the course of an hor and a half and he takes a cut back to the tree line to follow hens, I will take a 50-60 yard shot. That being said. I NEVER HAVE.  In fact, I can tell you honestly I have never shot a bird over 20 yards. EVER!  BUT!!! ( and this is a big BUT) I have the equipment and talent to make a 60 yard shot should I need it. Any hunter worth his salt is going to work his butt offto get the closest shot possible. I truly believe that! BUT! if you need to take a longer shot, its nice to have the equipment and skills to do it. Why is that so bad? The whole "not deserving " thing strikes me as being a little bit eletist. Its not like the guys are sitting in a climate controlled HUMMER sipping a mocha grande and taking pot-shots at a turkey they selected from a flock they saw on-line. They are out there sweating, freezing, getting wet, 'skeeter bites and  thorn-whipped like everyone else. If you call a bird in, within your personal killing zone, why is that bad?
I just dont get it. Of course I want my bird as close as possible. I have killed them as close as 6 FEET away, but I know I would take one at 50 yards under the right circumstances too.
I did try turkey with a bow last year, with NO BLIND and I was sucessful. What more could a fella do to prove his "worth" as a hunter than that? Thats one step short of tackling it and breaking its neck!  I don't feel i need to prove myself as a hunter any further and none of the guys whom I have guided (and I am not a guide, just a friend with the ability and resources) have ever complained about my methods or techniques in hunting.
 If you have the tools and know how to use them, make up your own mind. No one should judge a man on those grounds.

Tink

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » February 28th, 2009, 9:41 pm

I do not discriminate any person whom patterns there shotgun, understand the abilities of their shotgun as well as the shot they are shooting, and also the ballistics of their combo.

The man above mentioned shooting nines, has done his homework and has earned the right to kill turkeys at whatever range that "he" feels his gun, choke and load has the ability to do so.

Some of the above as well as myself have never taken the time to test the penetration and energy of their ammo at the golden forty yards. I can assure you that we all have shot birds at 30 40 yards with hevishot based on pure hearsay that these loads are capable of taking turkeys at these ranges, without actually taking the time to test them for penetration on anything other than turkeys.

So my thoughts. If you have done your homework on your combo and know that your gun is capable as well as yourself of taking turkeys at extended ranges. Who am I too judge???

silvestris

Postby silvestris » March 1st, 2009, 1:10 am

ORIGINAL: icdedturkes

Who am I too judge???

You are icdedtutkes.  Everyone judges, whether they admit it or not, and it is a very good thing as judging has a positive effect on the behavior of our fellow man.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 1st, 2009, 1:25 am

back in the late 1800's after the railroad was laid through the west, many so-called important people would ride the train for many days to the prairies , where the train was stopped by a huge herd of bison ,,,,and the shooting started . either they ran out of ammo or the bison ran off. then they would proceed on down the line to another herd and repeat. HUNTERS ?
i'm old enough to have seen the rise in the NEW CROP of turkey shells , magnum rifle cartridges , and the modern muzzleloader. they were all developed for one reason . the big shots that are willing to pay a ton of money on an elk hunt with a top notch guide and all the luxury of a fine hotel . the guide has already located the animal before the client arrives . then they ride a horse or some type of 4x4 to a spot where the big shot can shoot the animal from some astounding distance . HUNTING?
the 300 win mag is a powerful cartridge , but there are many with more power and flatter shooting. but there ain't an animal on this continent that requires a load like that to kill it cleanly . the modern muzzleloader is hailed by many to be the best ,,,capable of 300 yard kills. shooting 250 to 300 grain bullets to kill a deer ? that ain't necessary . and like someone said earlier in this topic,,,who can shoot that good? i been shooting all my life , and not like a good many so-called hunters that i know that only pick up there guns once or twice a year,,,i've been burning powder ,,,and a deer is very small at 300 yards .
as i stated in another thread ,, shooting groundhogs for farmers with a flat shooting varmint rifle is not hunting ,,,been there and done it. now on the other hand , take up the recurve bow and stalk the bean eaters to 25 yards or less and that is hunting .

to be shooting turkeys at anything beyond 40 yards is a gamble . the bird is receiving a lot of shot through the body and it is as plain as the sun coming up that anyone that would repeatedly shoot at a turkey at such distances is not at all interested in learning the art of working a bird in close .
this is just a few of my thoughts on the subject . bison shooting train riders , 500 yard elk shooters , 300 yard deer with a muzzleloader , whistlepigs from the truck at 250 and beyond and 70 yard turkeys . it ain't hunting ,,,it's just shooting animals .
i haven't always thought along these lines , but the older i get the clearer i see .

''old school turkey tactics ''

mark hay

Postby mark hay » March 1st, 2009, 3:49 am

YES SIR

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » March 1st, 2009, 6:46 am

The only ones I judge when it comes to turkey guns is the fellar whom goes to Wal-Mart buys a box of shells and goes to the woods, not knowing his pattern, his POI vs POA and his maximum range. I even cringe when someone does this and states that they worked well last year buying the same box of shells not knowing the mfg has changed one component that could have drastic effects on POI or maximum range.

The guys that spend there time at the range understanding there pattern and the shot they are shooting. I dont worry about them folks.

paboxcall

Postby paboxcall » March 1st, 2009, 7:03 am

ORIGINAL: icdedturkes

I even cringe when someone does this and states that they worked well last year buying the same box of shells not knowing the mfg has changed one component that could have drastic effects on POI or maximum range. The guys that spend there time at the range understanding there pattern and the shot they are shooting. I dont worry about them folks.

That is the very reason I'm still shooting the old red hull Winchester Supreme with a 2oz. load.  When I patterned my 1300, the Hastings .660 choke, with these red hull shells using #5, the pattern was great.

I went back to the store, and began opening the boxes on the shelf looking for three or four more boxes from the exact same lot number.  I think I unloaded half the shelf before I found them.  When I finish my last few, I repeat the process and shoot the same loads for a few years.

John
"So much of this business of hunting turkeys, you stupid it up right at the last.
You do everything right for an hour and a half, and then you sit down here
and there's nothing you can do about it, you made a mistake."
Tom Kelly, [i]Turkey Tales

PreviousNext

Return to Shooting